2000 Silverado - "Creaking" from rear after braking?

I've noticed a "creak" (for lack of a better term) coming from the rear of my 2000 Silverado (4x2, V6, 125k miles) when I release the brakes after coming to a complete stop.

This isn't a jolt or anything, but has a slight motion associated with it, almost as if something (like a small child) had just stepped off of the tailgate. Its that kind of motion, only it seems to be coming from lower underneath the truck - if that makes any sense.

I initially thought this was a problem with worn brake pads, but quickly eliminated that as a possibility. The pads are fine, my brake fluid is fine, so as far as I can tell, it isn't anything with the brakes.

Does anyone have any wild guesses as to what I might want to check next?

Reply to
bravodelta73

Slip yoke on your driveshaft sticking a bit? A common problem, but it's more of a "thump" than a "creak". Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

If that is the Problem... & I have this 'sticking' prob yearly on my

2000 4x4 Silverado Ext Cab 5.3...

Have the slip yoke disassembled & greased yearly (frees up the telescoping)

or install the Nickel Plated $175 drive shaft slip yoke....

I can feel the ride quality improvement/difference in summer....

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

Thanks for the input. Is this easily doable at home or would it be better to just take it into a shop? Any idea what your garden variety slip yoke disassembly & greasing should run if I find a garage to do it?

Reply to
bravodelta73

About $35 at a Chevy garage for disassembly & greasing...

Must use a slippery GM grease.....

Reply to
Dennis Mayer