2000 Silverado Steering Column Noise

Hello!

I have a recurring problem with my 2000 Silverado. At 60,000 miles, a clunking noise began in the steering column along with a grinding noise when turning left. The Chevy garage charged me 130 bucks to "lube the steering column shaft, as per GM". That solved the problem.

Now at 75,000 miles, the clunking is starting to return. Does anyone have an idea what needs to be lubed and with what lubricant? Is this something that can be done by someone who is not a mechanic or am I better off heading back to the Chevy garage?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

James

Reply to
James Clifford
2000 Silverado Steering Column Noise Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Sun, Oct 19, 2003, 9:17pm (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@commspeed.net (James=A0Clifford) Hello! I have a recurring problem with my 2000 Silverado. At 60,000 miles, a clunking noise began in the steering column along with a grinding noise when turning left. The Chevy garage charged me 130 bucks to "lube the steering column shaft, as per GM". That solved the problem. Now at 75,000 miles, the clunking is starting to return. Does anyone have an idea what needs to be lubed and with what lubricant? =A0 Is this something that can be done by someone who is not a mechanic or am I better off heading back to the Chevy garage? Thanks for any help you can provide. James
Reply to
Steve Cook