2001 2500HD auto trans heating up

Let me see now, when it is hot outside and I am chillin with ac and towing a heavy load up a long hill on hiway (like I did a few weeks ago when it was 95 out) am I worried about losing 5hp (give or take) for cooling fan? Not at all, my first concern is it stay cool. I have yet to get my 2000 K3500 to brake a sweet no matter what I do. I can stop is traffic on a 90 plus day with A/C on towing a heavy load and the tempature never climbs. (it is impressive) It has a factory HD system with a 10 bladed clutch fan that does its job when needed.

Reply to
SnoMan

And I used to run 10 to 15% kerosene in my automatic trannies when it got to 50 below, so what? I used to drag in the 80?s with a friend, alchol and the hole bit running over 700hp on a built up THM 400 with a 5500 RPM stall converter. We ran regualr ATF and never lost first tranny but did a few engines and rear axles until the quirks were works out. Sure maybe it works for you but you have no data to support that it would have not done the same with just ATF in it and a

10 or 12 sec blast down a strip is nothing like hauling 10 or 12k up a hill on interstate when it is 90 plus outside.
Reply to
SnoMan

You have never seen -50, I have and minus 30 or 40 a lot. Strange thins happen at those temps. ALso because you do not understand the physics of heat exchange it does not make them change to your liking. Your logic is the bizzare one because the 250 to 300 degree temps you claim exist only in the first few passes in condesor. You need to cooling it to close to ambient to get best cooling from A/C and better than half the condensor is used to lower the refrigerant that last 30 or 40 degrees The laws of thermodynamics tell you that as the tempature differentail between the item being cooled on the ambient air decreases the efficency of the heat transfer drops as well and if you use a aux cooler incorrectly it impeds this process by placing more warm air than needs to be in front of condensor and reduces the cooling of the freon. Calling this process a "fart in the wind" just tends to show a lack of understanding of the whole process and the thought that goes into designing one from the factory. Also GM gave up trying to get their A/C to cool properly all the time and Dmax powered trucks because before 2004 and 1/2 model. The intercooler was in front of condensor (simular to a big aux tranny cooler) they has since relocated it behind the AC condensor and resigned themselves to using a bigger intercooler in a warmer airstream.

Reply to
SnoMan

How does using that mix affect shift quality? I'm assuming it makes it firmer?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I thought there would be a change in shifts, but no, it felt the same

PowerGlide.

Reply to
TranSurgeon

yes, but amusement is where you find it

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Its more than 5 hp, it can be as much as 20 hp, which is why we use electric fans on the dragster. You also don't have the smaller v-8 in that 3500, so it darn sure better not "break a sweat". And you have the heavy duty cooling system that goes with it. But again with out asking, your just making assumptions, something your very good at, that his rig is the same as your rig. Those of us who earn/earned our living turning wrenches learn real fast never assume.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I'm happy for you, but what does -50F have to do with w/ anything I said?

. ALso because you do not understand the

"first few passes" on a parallel flow condensor? tell me how that works.

The laws of thermodynamics tell you that as the

know what? nobody gives a shit about the AC.. the topic is "Re:2001

2500HD auto trans heating up" in reference to this topic.. removing the trans fluid from 195F water to even 110F air is an improvement to the trans' cooling.

Calling this process a "fart in the wind" just

The transmission's heat output 96% of the time *is* a fart in the wind, it is no comparision to the heat load imparted on the radiator b the condensor.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

don't confuse him with facts