2001 4.3L V6 won't start - dead ignition?

Help!!!

My 2001 Silverado 4.3L V6 was running a little rough last time out. Now after sitting for 3 weeks it won't fire. It rolls over just fine, I can hear the fuel pump purr then shut down after building pressure but no sign of life, not a single puff. I even tried spraying a little starting fluid down into the throttle body and that didn't even make it pop. The check engine light is not on and was not on so I doubt that I have any computer codes?

I am thinking it may be easier to have it towed to the dealer and have them fix it? It's raining and I can't get it into my garage. I am at a loss where to start?

A little background on the truck. It's had a rough life, it was a service truck for the first 100k miles then I bought it with a thrown rod. I put a junkyard long block in with 40k on it and it ran great until about 3 weeks ago. The intake and distributor have 115k miles on them and the motor's rotating components only have 55k.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please send them directly to: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
mikeskiw

Key in the run position, with the engine off, the check engine light should be on.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Let me clarify... The check engine light was not on last time it was running. With the key on in the run position the "service engine soon" light is on as well as the red battery indicator in the message center but I believe this is normal.

Reply to
mikeskiw

yes it is, then after it starts they should go out. Oh wait, the CEL should go out after the key is on, after a few seconds (not only after it starts). If it doesn't then you have a code and that means you could have a better clue of what the problem is. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I normally just plug in the scanner and check for codes.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

service engine /check engine light is same thing so yes you are right, after he turns the key on the diagnostic lights should go out and if the service engine soon light is still on then he definitely got a code in there and he needs to pull it ,if you don't have a code reader you can goto any parts store to get one, the range in price is about 40 dollars on up but these are a tool you will use for along time to come and saves headaches trying to figure out whats wrong since the newer vehicles diagnose and stores all the trouble codes ,and you need the reader to erase the code anyway ,but if you want to save a few bucks you can goto Harbour freight and get their little code reader I paid 20 bucks for mine and it has been a very valuable tool and reads the codes just as well as the more expensive ones ,but it does only 2 things :reads codes and erases codes,the other ones have more options with them,but I got the HF one and have had no problems with it, works for what I need it for and comes with a booklet to decipher what the code is,hopes this has been helpful and good luck

Reply to
badaztek

If it will roll over but no fire check the distributer cap it might be cracked and not lined up properly oncce you get it off clean the cap with wire brush or something to clean contacts. if that doesn't work check all wires you may need to replace them. also check coil. you can buy a spark plg tool at parthouse for a few bucks it looks like a sprk plug and has a clamp on one end and the connection for you wire on other. check each plug to see if its getting fire. if that doesn't work start with air flow into throttle body. if fuel and spark are happening but no air flow you can't get fire just my 2cents

Reply to
shadetree mx