2001 Silverado C1500 rack & pinion leaks

I just got back from getting an oil change (to cold to doit myself) and the shop says my rack and pinion boots dripping power steering fluid. I haven't checked it myself yet. They say I need a new rack and pinion unit, but there's no play at all in this one and it only has 73000 miles. If I get a rebuilt one, it might be worse than what I have (except for the leaky seals)

If I take it to an independent garage, can they put an end seal kit in? I see seal kits for sale on the Internet for about $30 or less. Or is there too much labor involved to go that route?

I think I might just watch the fluid level in the PS pump reservoir and not worry about it until the one of the boots gives out.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I'd check the fluid every couple days, and see if it is really an issue. Some garages.....

.

If I take it to an independent garage, can they put an end seal kit in? I see seal kits for sale on the Internet for about $30 or less. Or is there too much labor involved to go that route?

I think I might just watch the fluid level in the PS pump reservoir and not worry about it until the one of the boots gives out.

Bob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For something like that my approach would be to buy some of the PS fluid with stop leak or a specialty labeled stop leak for PS. (Do NOT buy synthetic PS fluid, it will make leaks worse). The worst that can happen with these seal sweller stop leaks is that they don't work. But my experience has been that they often slow the leak to acceptable levels even if they don't stop it. If you buy a small bottle of stop leak, remove just enough PS fluid to allow you to put the stop leak in, don't remove all the fluid thinking you'll be better off with all new fluid. The old fluid has lots of nice rubbery wear particles in it that help with the leaks, the new fluid doesn't. I've gone thru this little experiment....

Reply to
Ashton Crusher