2001 silverado rear-end (hot)

has anyone had any problems with this when towing? mine keeps boiling the gear oil when towing. live in az. so it is hot in summer but gets so hot the paint is gone from the cover and housing. anyone have any answers- my dealer has none. thanx

Reply to
motomike

Have you checked the fluid level? Using 80W90 or 140W90? Posi? Using a posi friction modifier?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I would make the dealer reset the bearing and the lash on the pinion and ring gears. It sounds like they are to close together. There is no reason your 2001 should be soing this. Mine is just fine. I have the limited slip with 410 gears and have no problems.

Reply to
Sump

How did you find out you were boiling the gear oil in the rear end?? What were the symptoms??

Nick

Reply to
Skeechmaster