2001 Silverado squealing fan belt problem

My 2001 Silverado has a squealing in the fan belt 3 weeks after replacement which continues to worsen with time. It has been serviced and replaced by the dealer a number of times. The dealer tells me that everything is aligned. I had another mechanic clean the pulleys, etc

2 months ago and still the squealing came back to the point where it is almost unbearable. Something is causing the belt to deteriorate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply to
Casey

Sounds like it is not a cleanliness/age problem with the belt. It sounds as if something on your pulley may be dragging a bit, causing the squeels and early wear. It should rear its head and lock up soon enough ;). Possible places to check, AC compressor, PS pump, alternator, water pump. If it is doing it 100% of the time, it is most likely not the compressor or PS pump. If it was the compressor, it would typically only squeel when the AC clutch engages, and if it were the PS pump, it would typical only squeel when turning the wheel.

Reply to
Jason Cothran

You can use a long screw driver as a stethoscope to tell what it might be as well.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Belt tensioner.