2001 Tailgate trim

The release on my 2001 Silverado broke and I had to remove the trim around the handle to repair it. What's the best adhesive to reattach it?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

George

Plastic nubs broke when you pulled it off? Might just check the price of a new piece. I jerked mine off on my 2003 Silverado when the tailgate wouldn't come open because of those darn plastic clips on the end of the rods. The dealership replaced the clips and the cover trim for free under warranty, so it can't be that expensive. Only the rod clips would have been warranty since I deliberately tore the trim piece off so I could open my tailgate.

As to putting it back with glue... I am sure any old quick set epoxy would work fine, but it might be more work to get it off again than you want to deal with. If you still want to stay with a glue solution you might try some clear silicone RTV household adhesive. A good bead all around the lip of the trim piece should do the trick. You can tear it off in the future, but there is always the risk that it might come loose on its own bouncing down the road.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Put it on with trim cement. If it falls off I'll buy a new one.

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I don't know what you call it but I used the stuff used to seal around the wires coming into the house from the electric meter. I tried it as a temporary fix about four years ago, I bought a new trim piece but the old one never came off so the new one is on it's way to becoming NOS.

Al Bottoms Up Divers

Reply to
NHdiver