2002 Bravada - All of a sudden - poor gas mileage.

My Olds Bravada is getting really poor gas mileage around town all of a sudden. Like 13.8 mpg which is REALLY bad. I looked at the air filter and it looks OK although it hasn't been changed in a while. Also, the check engine light isn't coming on.

Does anyone have any ideas? I just went on a trip and was getting 19.4 mpg, which isn't too bad, although on flat highways, I can get around 21-22.

Thanks

Reply to
WMB

I did not know olds made chevy trucks

Reply to
GeekBoy

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:45:54 +0000, WMB got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

A few things to check. You got the 4.3L V-6 with the CPI injector, right?

First, check the EGR valve. They've been known to cause issues.

Second, have your injectors checked. They can gum up and cause poor mileage/performance.

Third, or maybe first, start the truck and let it run a bit. Afterwards, go to your exhaust and take a whiff. If it smells like fuel, you've possibly got an O2 sensor problem.

Do a search on Chevy Blazer / GMC Jimmy issues. These are typically what you'll find. If you take care of them, the engine will last well over 100K miles. I sold my '95 in '01 with over 150K miles.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Do fuel pressure leak down test. The regulators leak with age, the spider assembly can leak as well. Taken care of the engine will go 300K, change the timing chain at 150K.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning