2002 Bravada - All of a sudden - poor gas mileage.

Threaded View

My Olds Bravada is getting really poor gas mileage around town all of a
sudden.  Like 13.8 mpg which is REALLY bad.  I looked at the air filter and
it looks OK although it hasn't been changed in a while.  Also, the check
engine light isn't coming on.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I just went on a trip and was getting 19.4 mpg,
which isn't too bad, although on flat highways, I can get around 21-22.

Thanks

Re: 2002 Bravada - All of a sudden - poor gas mileage.

I did not know olds made chevy trucks

Re: 2002 Bravada - All of a sudden - poor gas mileage.

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 13:45:54 +0000, WMB got out the hammer and chisel and
etched in the wall:

A few things to check. You got the 4.3L V-6 with the CPI injector,
right?

First, check the EGR valve. They've been known to cause issues.

Second, have your injectors checked. They can gum up and cause poor
mileage/performance.

Third, or maybe first, start the truck and let it run a bit. Afterwards,
go to your exhaust and take a whiff. If it smells like fuel, you've
possibly got an O2 sensor problem.

Do a search on Chevy Blazer / GMC Jimmy issues. These are typically what
you'll find. If you take care of them, the engine will last well over 100K
miles. I sold my '95 in '01 with over 150K miles.

--
kai - snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
Re: 2002 Bravada - All of a sudden - poor gas mileage.

Do  fuel pressure leak down test. The regulators leak with age, the spider
assembly can leak as well.
Taken care of the engine will go 300K, change the timing chain at 150K.

Whitelightning

Site Timeline