2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 cold start problem

Hi guys, I have been having this problem since the beginning of this week. It's been getting cold here at night 18-28 degrees F. So monday, I go out and start my truck and it revs up like normal but when it idles back down it bogs like it is going to die. The truck is kinda jumping like the engine is about to die but doesn't die. If it sits long enough it will smooth out. Now, every morning it does it and it does it when I leave work. It only does it if it sits for a while. My service engine soon light came on and my aunt owns a parts store so I took it by for her to check the code. It just said Random Misfire. She tried some fuel treatment and the battery cable was loose so she tightened it. But it has still done this the past two days. Anyone else having problems like this? It has 58K miles and has never been dogged or abused. Also, once you take off down the road a bit and it gets warm you can put it back in park and it doesn't do it any more. It only does it when you first start it up.. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks

Reply to
Jre1229

KENG

This may sound funny but have the battery load tested. I had a 01 Dodge Ram that exibited the same problem and it was the battery going bad. It started right up no problem but when the battery was very cold, and the engine too, it would make the engine missfire until things warmed up. Good luck and please post back whatever the cure is.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Thanks for the replies guys. As for the battery. I just replaced it this past summer so I wouldn't think it would be going bad. I had my aunt check it and it showed up as normal. I got a fuel filter and I am going to try it tomorrow. I will post after a few days to see if that fixes it. Thanks!

Reply to
Jre1229

Long shot question here. How cold, and what grade oil in the engine?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Upper teens low twenties... 10W 30

Reply to
Jre1229

There is your problem, these newer engines need 5w30, they are tighter than engines from the 70's

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Sounds like a problem with the iac motor or the mass air flow sensor. replace lots of them for that kind of a cause.

Reply to
polarisracer15

Well I replaced the fuel filter and that didn't work. I don't really think it's an oil problem either. I have had the truck for 2 years and have always ran the same oil since I have had it. I am thinking it's some kind of sensor. I may try the mass air flow sensor that polar suggested. I will let you all know!!

Reply to
Jre1229

Pull the vac. line off of the fuel presure reg. (small pod on fuel rail) If there is any fuel present,the regulator needs replaced. This will will cause a rich fuel condition during starts. Any fuel at all in the vac line indicates a bad regulator.

Reply to
M Port

Thanks M Port. I will try that tomorrow! I will let you all know how it goes

Reply to
Jre1229