2003 2500 HD Overheats when Towing

truck is a 6.0 auto trans. Normal driving the truck stays at 210 degrees. When towing the truck gets really hot 240+. If you stop, it will cool fairly quick. I am towing a 27ft Travel Trailer. I was thinking that the radiator might be plugged. I tried to flush it out using some stuff bought at the local parts store. seemed to help a little, but did not fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
skippy7024

210 is high for normal driving. Have you checked the thermostat for proper operation (fully open at temp)and if the clutch fan is working properly? If they are both fine, and then maybe have the rad looked at at that point.
Reply to
Augustus

With the heat, I've been doing a lot of refrigeration, this year. One thing I notice, condensors (a radiator for freon) get dusty, clogged, and oily. They don't release heat very well.

Please consider cleaning the outside of your radiator. Hot engine, spray with something like Simple Green, and then rinse completely with clean water. Might help, can't hurt. If you know any refrigeration guys, alki foam could also help.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon