2003 HD Silverado 4x4

I have a 2003 HD Silverado 4x4 pickup with a 6000 Vortec engine. The oil drain plug is approximately 2 to 3 inches away from the exhaust pipe that crosses between the frame members. When the plug is removed the oil streams out directly on to the exhaust pipe. I've figured out a way to keep the oil from hitting the exhaust pipe (garage engineering)while draining, but would like to know if any HD owners out there know of a tool or splash shield that is already designed to keep this from happening?

Thanks!

Reply to
anthony6465

Somehow,on 7 Nov 2003 15:54:13 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (anthony6465) managed to spout out:

I've been using pieces of the cardboard box the oil bottles come in to shield both the exhaust pipe and the skid plate. a little bend and fold in just the right places and everything drains right into the pan. clean, free, and disposable.

Mike `02 Silverado 2500HD

Reply to
Janitor Boy Jr

I use a gal. milk carton or gal. water carton etc. One side, same side as handle, near the bottom is notched out for a force fit on the exhaut pipe and the other side pushed in to form a concave surface. It snaps onto the exhaust pipe with the spout pointing down and deflects the oil into the drain pan. First time I changed the oil without the shield it made a helluva mess. MR

Reply to
MR

I know that they make permanent deflectors. I think prestone makes it. It's basically a tube you permanently attach to the drain plug, and it has a plug in the end. I never liked the idea for a truck, but any pavement pounder should take it alright.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ