2003 Silverado Dealer Service

How important is it to have a Chevy dealer service our Duramax?

I have followed the recommended maintenance schedule and changed oil and all filters myself, Rotated tires and checked axle fluid, etc. However there are things like checking air intake system, hoses, shields,etc. that I am not sure what to do. Should the truck go in periodcially to have these items checked? I sometimes feel the factory lists these things just to get service business. As long a as the main items are taken care of is this adequate?

Jerry

Reply to
Gerald Atkin

No, if you're doing the tire rotating, axle fluid checking, etc, I feel as though there is no reason to bring the truck in so somemone can put it up on a lift and LOOK at the heat shields, cats, etc.

They were trying to talk me into that when I had my '04 in for a waranty thing. They wanted $250 to basically change a fuel filter. Everything else on the list was already done by myself.

Just the other day I got a more expensive offer on some other service. It was the same as the first, but they say that the inspect heat shields, cats, intake, etc - just like you said.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

I wouldn't think there is a problem with doing the mantenance yourself. I'd recomend that you keep your reciepts and a log of what you have done and when. Just in case there is a warranty issue, thats the first thing they are going to ask for is proof of maintenance. If you can provide that, thre shouldn't be any problems. At my dealership we provide a free maint inspection along with oil changes. Things like intakes, hoses, and exhaust shields, tire pressure, fluid levels are checked for free. I'd ask at your dealership to see what they would do for you. Most of our oil change rates are compeditive with the quick lube places. I know duramax aren't serviced for the standard rate, they take more time / materials that say a Cavalier to service. Check around to see what rates you get around town and see if the dealer will match that price, thats what we do in most cases.

Reply to
Jay