2003 suburban won't start- fuel pump?

On the road it acted like it was going to die-- but wife drove it home okay. Now it won't start. I've read the manual about pressing down the gas pedal all the way and all that-- but what are some other novice steps I can check before I tow this thing to the shop? It only has 86K on it-- that's a crappy fuel pump if it's went out already- wouldn't you agree?

Reply to
Carlton Clay

Carlton Clay

Not if your wife drove it and ran it down to less than 1/4 tank of fuel before putting another $20 in it, and did this repeatedly. It is difficult to explain to people that it costs the same to run a vehicle whether its got 1/4 tank or 3/4 tank of gas. Running it out of gas is REALLY hard on the pump, while running it low on gas is much harder than if you keep it around 1/2 tank.

Do you hear the pump run when you turn the key to ON? Did you hear it before? Listen near the tank while somebody else turns it to ON, not START, and see if you hear it before you decide its dead. Bang on the tank while somebody turns the key to ON and see if this makes the pump run.

Reply to
Scott

I've seen lots of guys post that you should run a half tank or more. My 99 silverado has 170k miles on the original pump. I always run it to the "E" and fill with 20-22 gallons in a 26 gallon tank. My belief is that it can't hurt to run a half tank or more, but it sure ain't required. GM pumps seem to last about 100k miles so I'm a lucky one. I think you can run a half tank or more all the time and still have the fuel pump quit at around 100k. I think that 86k is kinda short life, but its to be expected. Except for opinions expressed here, I've never seen a reference to fuel cooling or lubing a fuel pump. It sounds logical so some guys keep it at a half tank or more. My blower motor isn't cooled and my windshield wiper motor isn't cooled. Its just an electric motor and if it runs for 100k miles, its served its purpose. Of course all of this is just my opinion too. Don't flame me too much.

Reply to
George

This banging of the tank worked twice-- even banged the fuel filter once and it started; but now nothing. I'm going to replace the fuel filter before I tow it off-- but tell me this-- where should I be banging-- in other words-- what part of the fuel tank is the pump located in-- the rear?

I've driven company vehicles for 10 years-- I wait until I'm way, way below "E" before I get gas usually; but not on this, my personal vehicle.

Reply to
Carlton Clay

I think you are pressing your luck, clean living will only get you so far! But if you have 4 gallons left it isn't like you run it till the warning light comes on. I think its the times you run the thing very low and it sucks up all the rust and dirt in the fuel tank and runs it through the pump and your fuel system that is hardest on it.

Reply to
Scott

Actually burning out a fuel pump due to low fuel levels is an urban myth. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel running through it, not by what's surrounding it in the tank. The "rust and dirt" is in the tank regardless of fuel level. The pump screen will filter out anything that would damage a pump.

Reply to
Battleax

This is the most logical post so far. I agree!

Reply to
George

Right. So what cools it if it sucks air?

Reply to
Scott

Lol, if it's sucking air then cooling it is the least of your problems.

Reply to
Battleax