2003 Tahoe A/C Smell...

Just wondering if this is a common problem: my less than one year old Tahoe emits a strong odor from the A/C when first started or after the A/C has been running and then shut off for a while. The smell is almost like cat urine but not quite that bad. Could there be something wrong with the A/C ducting?

Thanks,

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Odors may be emitted from the air conditioning system primarily at start up in hot, humid climates. The following conditions may cause the odor:

a.. Debris is present in the HVAC module. b.. Microbial growth on the evaporator core When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant musty odor into the passenger compartment. Cam

Reply to
Cam

I have the same on my 2003 Trailblazer,

Only last a few seconds, but anyone know how to clear it, strip down evap and clean?? Any advice?

Thanks

Reply to
Chris

Chris:

I vaguely remember reading GM had a spray for that. Might call dealership and verify. Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

I believe GM uses AirSept products to clean+coat the coils, plus they have TSB's on some models to install a timer to cycle the fan on/off after ignition-off to help dry the coils (but have heard that solution does not work well in humid conditions).

Reply to
Markeau

Hi!

There's probably something growing on the moist coils after you shut the vehicle down and things start to heat up. As others have mentioned it can be disinfected. To reduce the chance of it happening in the future, shut the A/C down before you stop and let the fan run fresh air through the system.

I do that on my truck and the A/C never smells bad after it has been sitting.

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I have owned many GM vehicles over the years and have never had this problem before. Of course, I've never owned a car that didn't use R-12 refrigerant before either. Maybe the newer refrigerants are more susceptible to this problem?

I will contact the dealer and get their advice. Thank you all.

Reply to
Scott

$50 a can for lysol spray? My $0.02

~KJ/TLGM