2003 Tahoe Oil Leak

Thanks in advance for helpful replies. Our 2003 Tahoe LT, 5.7L, has about

8000 miles on it. It's developed a slow and small oil leak that is coming down between where the engine and transmission come together.

I suspect it to be either the rear main seal or possibly a leaking intake manifold gasket near the rear of the engine. I've talked to two Chevrolet service managers and they say they rarely see oil leaks from the newer Tahoes.

I plan to have it looked at when the next oil change is due (which is soon). Of course, I'm checking the oil level just to be safe. Any similar situations, resolutions or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Brent

Reply to
SB Fowler

====================== Get it fixed while you still can for free.....

Reply to
Scott M

What kind of stupid reply is this?

I'm sure the original author of the post knows it's under warranty. He's trying to get stories from other people who might have had a similar experience since the dealers and mechanics are idiots. He wants to get it right the first time. Keep your stupid comments to yourself, only post helpful info.

Reply to
<aschroeder1

wrote

Ah....so the dealers and their mechanics are idiots, eh? Funny, I'm a dealer tech, and I'd agree with the service managers assesment of the oil leak. It's rare the "we" see oil leaks from between the engine and trans on these "new" chevy small blocks.

The original poster also "suspects" that the leak could be from the "rear of the intake" manifold. Wow, that's a revelation...as the intake manifold does not seal oil on these new engines. But what the hell do I know....one of those "idiot" dealer mechanics.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

====================== He wants to get it right the first time by letting us guess what it is? O.....K............That would be better than letting the dealers "stupid mechanics" fix it while its still under warranty? Those "stupid mechanics" are the ones going to fix it, and for free too.

Reply to
Scott M

My comment comes from experience with three different sets of mechanics who couldn't fix the same car. (3 dealers) I found the oil leak on my car and they all said what you're saying. We never see this leak and can't find it on your car. (By the way, saying you never see this leak doesn't mean this isn't the first one, and this doesn't help the customer) My oil was burning off the exhaust so I traced down the leak and told them where it was. They said they couldn't find the leak. I was one month from running out of warranty, I wonder if that's why.

They installed four different door mirrors on the same car, painting them the correct color each time. Why four mirrors? They were installing the wrong part number, not the updated one listed in the TSB.

They installed three different stereos to fix a skipping problem with the cd player. Why did the third stereo fix the problem? The first two units were remanufactured, the third one was brand new, according to the service manager.

Now you might understand why I call them idiots. (Remember, this was not only one dealer, not an isolated case.) What did this cost GM and in the end cost the consumer?

This original message was posted to learn things like you mention. The intake manifold has no oil in it. This person is trying to learn this so in case the dealer tells him it is the intake, he can know the truth. People should use this board for that kind of info, not telling the guy take it to the dealer ("It's under warranty"). He can learn more here than he can from the dealer. People buy cars to drive them, not to take them to the dealer four times for the same repair.

Reply to
<aschroeder1

For free?? Hell, he paid good money for the truck, didn't he?

Reply to
weatababy,eetsaboy

====================== Yes, very true, probably paid too much good money for it....

Reply to