2003 Trailblazer LS 4x4 rear end clunk

53K miles just started making a clunk around corners but intermittent and not on straights. Is this just a standard rear end that I can replace the spyder and axle gears and live happily ever after? I used to own a 70 Camaro and had the same thing happen, replaced those 4 gears and it was fine for 50K more miles when I sold it. If I chose not to repair it myself, how much should I expect to pay? $500, $750. $1000?
Reply to
Meat Plow

Could you have a broken shock, or loose exhaust? Do you let your kids drive it???????

Reply to
Bill

Kid isn't old enough and no there isn't a broken shock or loose exhaust. I know the feeling and the sound of a broken spyder gear. I'm going to have a local mechanic give me and estimate Monday for $50.

Reply to
Meat Plow

When a spyder gear breaks its easy to tell, the vehicle doesnt move anymore.

Whitelightning who was the ace of shattering spyder gears with a V-8 powered Vega cobbled together in Germany.

Reply to
Whitelightning

Only if they disintegrate or you manage to sheer all the teeth off. Lose a cog and you'll probably never notice it until you turn a corner or spin a tire.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Several Items.

Look in the glove box for the code "G80". If there it looks like your "locker" is about to crap out.

Can you replicate the issue by standing at the rear of the vehicle, and move the body?

Can you replicate it by moving the exhaust pipe.

Also search

for more info

Reply to
topprolmc