2004 Ball Joints

While trying to figure out my water leak problem, I looked at a neighbors truck to compare a few things. After I fixed mine he asked if my truck made rattling noises in the front end. It doesn't but, road with him and he had a knocking sound when turning into his drive way and when running over a series of bumps. I asked him about the service he had done to the truck. He has one of them oil change places do his. From the looks of the grease fittings on the truck, I doubt they greased it last time which was in late april. So I greased it for him and the rattling noises are less now. It has about 17000 miles on it. Mostly highway miles.

He said the rattling noise has been bothering him for about 6 months.

I am just wondering how much damage was done to the ball joints.

What ya'll think ?

How are you suppose to check the ball joints on it ?

Thanks for any info.

James

Reply to
jclotto7

You check the ball joints by measuring the amount of play. His is one example as to why you should do your own maintenance so you know it gets done right. However his problem is probably the ISS, its a known issue. if its under warranty then go back to the dealer and let them fix it, if not then search the net for info on the ISS and I;m sure you will find it, it basically needs greased but had to be removed to do it.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

It's not the ball joints. It's the intermediate steering shaft.

Been there, done that, got the commerorative coffe mug... Twice.

First time was at about 17000. Dealer replaced the shaft with the updated version that wasn't supposed to do that again. Second time was about a year later, just out of warranty. Dealer sold me a $14 intermediate steering shaft lube kit and 1/2 hour of labor that solved the problem.

Next time, I'll just pick up the lube kit and do it myself.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Thanks for the info, will check it when they get back from vacation.

James

Reply to
jclotto7