2005 silverado

hi gents

I have a 2005 silverado and it's out of warrenty and there is a knocking in the front end.I was told it was something to do with the sterring column. It;s not the first time it does this. Does anybody lnow if there is an after market part I could buy that would be better than the originial. The truck has only 62000 km and this will be the third unit.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

If it's the intermediate shaft, there is a new design out that is supposed to cure this.

Reply to
Troy Sigwing

on Thursday 18 October 2007 04:35 pm, someone posing as Troy Sigwing took a rock and etched into the cave:

That's probably his issue. I've heard a lot about the "clunk" and am waiting with baited breath on my AV for it to start. I've only had it a year, but am over 21K miles.

Here, check this out:

PerfectReign

You'd think that over the years Chevy/GM would have solved this particular problem. I bought the largest retired U-Haul they sell, a 1988 truck, with precisely the same problem.

It only clunked, so I got over it and sold it to the next guy showing him where the clunk was.

Still, why haven't they fixed the design problem in ~20 years?

:

nonsense

on Friday 19 October 2007 08:07 am, someone posing as nonsense took a rock and etched into the cave:

I think they've solved it with the 2007 models. They use a completely different system (rack and pinion) than our trucks (retriculating ball?) so it should be - erm - better.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Thanks guys this is great info.

Troy do you know where I can get the new designtha will cure this problem.

Reply to
Mike

My dealer replaced mine for free even though it was out of warranty. I think the new shaft is ~ $100 if you have to buy it.

Reply to
Troy Sigwing

The part was $52 and installation at the dealer about $98 for mine (under warranty)

Reply to
Lenagainster

SLOW down.... more info needed, when doest it "knock" ? ..........braking? turning? accellerating? what?

Reply to
ScottM

In my case, at speeds under 25 mph on slightly bumpy roads, driving straight, felt like something was loose in the steering, could hear and feel the sloppiness in the steering. At higher speeds and harsher bumps, didn't feel it. On smooth highway, felt fine, no pulling. Prior to intermediate steering shaft replacement, had front end checked, and mechanic (not at dealer) could not find anything loose. There is a TSB on the intermediate shaft problem.

Reply to
Lenagainster