2006 Colorado Comments?

Thinking about a 2006 Colorado Extended Cab, but concerned about the comments on Consumer Reports and Edmunds that it is one of the worst trucks in its class. One of the worst warranties also. Dodge, Toyota and Nissan have better warranties on the power train.

Also, when I test drove it I could always feel this quivering in the ride. The sales guy said the tires develop a "flat spot" from sitting too long which I think is BS. In reading the road test on Consumer Reports, they reported the same thing. What causes this quivering?

The towing capability seems to be lower than the Nissan or Toyota which I can't figure out. I read a review that said the I5 really struggled to pull a 4,000 lb towing weight.

It also got banged on the plastic interior, but it did not seem that bad to me in my 10 minute test drive.

So what are your real life experiences with the truck? Please try to be objective, even though you own one.

Reply to
J. D. B.

Towing capacity was supposedly a design decision / trade-off using the logic that people who tow greater weights tend to buy full size trucks. I towed ~

3000 for 1500KM with no problems or effort. (Reg cab 2WD 4Cyl).

Interior is more an individual taste thing. You like it or don't.

Quivering / tires I can't speak to, other than to say I haven't had any such issues.

Warranty duration is definitely on the short side for GM. .

For a good cross section of experiences, check out the forums at

The site is devoted to the Canyon and Colorado.

Reply to
Commentator

For the price and economy, I personally would rather buy a full sized.

Reply to
Sigwings

Reply to
Frank S.

Step back and take a look at your comments. You'll instantly know the answer to the question, "Should I buy one?"

Reply to
mkirsch1

When I asked the question a while back, I was very interested in buying a Colorado. But after trying to deal with some of the most unprofessional salespeople ever at the Chevy dealerships, I've given up. Now I am still trying to buy a truck and working on a Nissan Frontier or a Dodge Dakota. Looks like we can get a great deal on a Dakota so we are leaning that way at this time.

Thanks to a few that responded to my initial request.

J. D. B.

Somebody's telling you that you don't want a Chevy. I really don't know why you were as persistent as you were, given the bad reviews on the truck and lack of interest from the sales people at the dealerships...

with the Nissan dealer than you were with the Chevy.

Just be aware that the Dakotas are a great deal because they suck more gas than a full size Chevy, and they can't sell them. Dodge has the worst fuel economy of any truck on the market.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Quivering is caused by a little too much frame flex. The truck is tough enough and won't break, but it flexes more than any other pickup truck made to date and the result is this quivering you refer too. Its not a serious problem or danger but it is definitely noticeable and objectionable to some people at times.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

On what do you base this? The Canyon / Colorado have a stiffer frame than the S10/Sonoma. How could it flex more?

Reply to
Commentator

Quivering is caused by a little too much frame flex. The truck is tough enough and won't break, but it flexes more than any other pickup truck made to date and the result is this quivering you refer too. Its not a serious problem or danger but it is definitely noticeable and objectionable to some people at times.

TL

Reply to
Tom Levigne

Your last comment is pretty interesting because on two reviews I read, that is just not confirmed. Here is a link to the Edmunds road tests of the 2005 "compact" trucks.

Colorado 16 Dakota 14 Frontier 15 Toyota 17 Ranger - could not find a review.

Anyway, not a heck of a lot of difference here - a mile or two. I'd put links to the CR reports, but you have to be a member to get access so the links would not work.

So since the Dakota is not going to be the primary vehicle, we bought the Dakota last night. Got more truck for a lot less money. We have the Crew/Quad cab and paid less for that than we would the Frontier with Extended cab.

The point of this, is I would have bought a Colorado had someone at least been interested is selling me a Colorado. As of Wednesday morning, still no call from the GM dealer in downtown Cincinnati. I said I would buy in 72 hours. I did. I guess that did not interest them. Now, I will work on my letter to the president of GM.

Thanks to all who gave input, feedback on the Colorado. Did not really hear anything that would have kept me from buying the truck, it's just an issue with the GM/Chevy dealers.

J. D. B.

How in the hell can they get such awful gas mileage? My old 89 S-10

4.3 automatic gets me at least 18 mpg in normal mixed driving.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

My 03 Avalanche gets 14.9 in mostly city driving. Something is not adding up on the Colorado fuel milage.

Is there a chance that these are the figures for E-85?

Reply to
TSC

'04 reg cab 2wd i4 auto

regular mixed driving - average after > 72,000km

12.5 l/100km = 18.94 mpg us = 22.73 mpg imperial

last tank (mainly highway, avg 120 km/hr = 75 mph, ~ 700lbs in box)

9.29 l/100km = 25.48 mpg us = 30.58 mpg imperial

best ever

8.6 l/100km = 27.53 mpg us = 33.03 mpg imperial

worst ever, towing ~ 3,000 lbs, hilly terrain, tranny in 3rd

15.3 l/100km = 15.47 mpg us = 18.57 mpg imperial
Reply to
Commentator