2006 GMC Sierra Question

Hello, I just purchased this truck and noticed that power to the cig ligther or aux port doesn't turn off after you turn off the truck. I use a radar detector, so should I turn it off each time I leave the truck for a extended period of time? I haven't so far and haven't had any issues, but just don't want to kill the battery. Sorry haven't owned a GM product for quite awhile, and this is the first truck I have had that does this. Thanks. Bill

Reply to
Bill

Is this condition like that all of the time or does it turn off after the door is opened? (I think that is how it should be)

Reply to
Steve M. in CA.

It is common practice for the lighter and the radio to be on the same circuit. When the radio shuts off after the door is opened I suspect that the lighter should do the same.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Reply to
Bill

My Colorado stays on all the time. Something's, like the lights and such go off when the door is open. But the lighter is always on.

Reply to
kevin weaver

Reply to
tgater

Reply to
Craig M

I can't remember any American built GM, Ford, or Chrysler product that the lighter wasn't always hot. I guess the American manufacturers figured we were smart enough to turn things off. The amount of current a radar detector draws is so small it shouldn't bother anything for two weeks. Unless they are tripped, they draw next to nothing..

I agree about the heat, worse than the cold on a battery.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to
Frank S.

I moved the top posting down to where it belongs otherwise the thread becomes a chore to read. I just marched outside, threw the door open on the 06 and pushed in the lighter. It worked just the same as when the engine was running. My old 84 Dodge used to blow the fuse and the radio/lighter were both dead. Perhaps the circuit that makes the radio shut off doesn't effect the lighter but they could still be on the same circuit? I'll likely never know because this truck might not give me a reason to find out.

Anyway, modern gadgets such as the radar detector shouldn't be much of a drain on the battery.

Just my $0.02 Canadian and it is worth not much more than that :)

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Follow the circuits on the schematic

see where is connects to, IIRC its always hot.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
Bill

Radar detectors don't use much juice. You could leave it on for a year without starting the motor and it wouldn't run the battery down.

Reply to
Bryan Wills