2011 Tahoe LTZ towing

I have the towing package. My boat is about 4300# max. Towing the other day in some rolling hills about 55 and hit a downhill the transmission kicked down and my RPMs went to almost 5k. I then took it out of tow/haul mode and it kicked down to normal rpm.

I like towing better with manual shifting but that might be worse. Thoughts?

Reply to
kmkramer71

some rolling hills about 55 and hit a downhill the transmission kicked down and my RPMs went to almost 5k. I then took it out of tow/haul mode and it kicked down to normal rpm.

I can't see how manually shifting could be worse. I'd use the Tow mode if most of the driving was uphill and regular if it was mostly downhill and manually downshift when engine braking is desired.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

some rolling hills about 55 and hit a downhill the transmission kicked down and my RPMs went to almost 5k. I then took it out of tow/haul mode and it kicked down to normal rpm.

Were you using cruise control? Maybe you have some sort of hill assist?

Reply to
bilb2765

Were you using cruise control? Maybe you have some sort of hill assist?

+++++ I don't know if the Tahoe has this feature or not, but my '06 Duramax when using the cruise control in tow mode on steep or long downhills would automatically down shift to reduce the speed once you exceeded 4-5 mph over the cruise control setting. It was not unusual to get up to 4500 rpm in this mode although you couldn't get over 3300 rpm when accelerating. Generally the transmission and engine computers won't allow a shift outside of safe parameters. Ron +++++
Reply to
Ron