4.3 Tweety...eaten by Sylvester (AC Fixed)

Well, I named the A/C clutch bearing Sylvester...and the tweet tweet tweet is GONE!! Three trips to Autozone, one to Pep Boys (they hooked me up) and a $30 tool later, the noise is gone. I will have to invest in a new clutch before next summer as it looked very very worn. Is there some sort of material that goes between the plate and the pully? If so, I am down to metal on metal...hence next summer replacement.....(If I don't trade in the truck first...)

Thanks for all your help, and senseless banter (heh heh heh).....

And for you nay sayers...try the long screwdriver to the ear trick...you will be suprised what you may hear.

8upman
Reply to
Eightupman

Screwdriver to ear = good idea, works like a charm (aka mechanic's stethoscope)

Screwdriver to teeth = bad idea.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I figured he was trying to be funny and bust my chops so I ignored him. I am hoping he was joking...there can't really be someone that swift.... That would be like licking a plug wire to see if you got spark.....

Thanks again Doc..

Reply to
Eightupman

tool? Pep-boys? I looked there recently, never found one...p.s. Its metal to metal when new.

Reply to
Scott M

Yep..Pep Boys had the tool on the shelf. The first one that I tried to rent from Autozone wasn't even for GM AC units, the second tool from Autozone was for pre 1986 cars, and the one from Pep Boys was just right!!! I got a schooling on this job, but will not have a problem with the next job like this.

8upman
Reply to
Eightupman

~ Re: 4.3 Tweety...eaten by Sylvester (AC Fixed) Screwdriver to teeth = bad idea.

Doc ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~

snipped-for-privacy@newemail.com (Eightupman)

I figured he was trying to be funny and bust my chops so I ignored him. I am hoping he was joking...there can't really be someone that swift.... That would be like licking a plug wire to see if you got spark.....

Thanks again Doc.. ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

8-up, licking a plug wire is like boot camp...... every new recruit oughta have to do it.....

if no other reason than the experience... it builds character and makes for good stories at the barstool.

glad to hear you whooped it.....good job!

scrib abell ~~~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Well here is a story something close to licking plug wires....I had an instructor in college that must have been jolted by every automotive voltage known to man...There was this straight 6 Ford tractor motor that we used in class to test our carb rebuilds, and just for FUN...this crackhead would walk up and shut the motor down by shorting all six spark plugs to the block WITH HIS HANDS...I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it. He twitched like he had terrets (spelled wrong I am sure..but you get the pic) from all the voltage. He taught fuel systems AND auto electronics; a deadly combo. The poster boy for what not to do!!!

Reply to
Eightupman

~ Re: 4.3 Tweety...eaten by Sylvester (AC Fixed)

Screwdriver to teeth =3D bad idea.

Doc ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ =A0=A0=A0= snipped-for-privacy@newemail.com (Eightupman)

I figured he was trying to be funny and bust my chops so I ignored him. I am hoping he was joking...there can't really be someone that swift.... That would be like licking a plug wire to see if you got spark.....

Thanks again Doc.. ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

8-up, =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0licking a plug wire is like boot camp...... every new recruit oughta have to do it.....

if no other reason than the experience... it builds character and makes for good stories at the barstool.

glad to hear you whooped it.....good job!

scrib abell ~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~ eightup writes......

Well here is a story something close to licking plug wires....I had an instructor in college that must have been jolted by every automotive voltage known to man...There was this straight 6 Ford tractor motor that we used in class to test our carb rebuilds, and just for FUN...this crackhead would walk up and shut the motor down by shorting all six spark plugs to the block WITH HIS HANDS...I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it. He twitched like he had terrets (spelled wrong I am sure..but you get the pic) from all the voltage. He taught fuel systems AND auto electronics; a deadly combo.

The poster boy for what not to do!!! ~~~ ~~~

My kinda guy.....

a dieing breed.........rotflmao.......

i made a funny

scrib