4.3 V6 Transmission Cooler Install and power

'87 Chevy Pick UP

4.3 Lt.. V6 (TBI) TH400 Trany Mr. Transmission Cooler (18,000 pound capacity)

The 'Mr. Transmission' guy says to just run the trany lines to the cooler and forget the rad cooler part (and the instructions that came with the cooler). His idea here is it is not needed and is probably all gunked up anyway.

I did that. Put a temp probe in the cooler line and she runs around 110 -

120 degrees.

When I pull my trailer (3200 pounds, -hard on that V6) she will go up to 160 degrees if the temp outside is around 70 degrees. Today it was around 80,

82 degrees and I pulled the trailer for maybe 50 miles and the temp hit 190 degrees. Engine temp is fine (stable at 200 degrees).

I'm thinking that without pulling the trailer the trany temp is too cold? What to do?

Also, any ideas on getting 6 or 7 more horsepower out of that V6? I guess a

350 transplant is one way.

Dave

Reply to
Slap

gunked

around

Two things, you have too much cooler for your needs and "Mr Trannsmision" told you wrong and how to hook it up. You run fluid through tank cooler first then aux cooler and you will have a lot more stable fluid temps. Also 110 to 120 is to cold if you are reading temp of fluid leaving tranny and it is not good for long tranny life. 180 is about perfect and 160 to 200 is a good operating range to be in. Try a smaller cooler, about 12,000 GVW, and hook it up as a said above and you will see more stable tranny temps. Also, on a side note on a hot day you are decreasing AC performance some because you are currently dumping all of the heat from tranny into the consendor which is limiting the cooling of the freon before it is expanded to cool your car.

Reply to
SnoMan

On this issue the best and simplest solution is to regear the truck. The 4.3 is not a weak motor but is usually coupled to tall gears and makes if feel weaker than it really is. Install a set of 4.10 or ao and you will think you installed a V8 but without the extra gas and cooling problems from it towing and also it will lower tanny temps and extend its service life from reduced torque load. I am curuious aboth the tranyy though because it should be either a THM350 or a 700R4 behind that engine and not a THM400.

Reply to
SnoMan

lines to the cooler

came with the

probably all gunked up

runs around 110 -

will go up to 160

it was around 80,

the temp hit 190

temp is too cold?

that V6? I guess a

Reply to
Franko

Hello Slap,

If you are concerned about your tranny running "too cold" which might be a real concern for you come the winter months, you could install an oil cooler thermostat between the radiator and the auxilliary oil cooler (if not hot enough, will bypass the aux oil cooler). Do a google search and you should get numerous hits (Jegs, Moroso, etc.). Good luck. Franko

lines to the cooler

came with the

probably all gunked up

runs around 110 -

will go up to 160

it was around 80,

the temp hit 190

temp is too cold?

that V6? I guess a

Reply to
Franko

For sure she is a TH400. Just had it serviced. I have a friend that was also surprised saying "that's one big honkin transmission to be behind a V6".

Re-gearing the truck sounds like a job for a pro and thus might be quite expensive but I'll check into it to see what a job like that would cost.

I'm not too sure but I think the '87 4.3L had around 150 HP and later years they were up to 200 HP.

You have an opinion on these 'Throttle Body Spacers'? Might be snake oil I don't know. I'll start another thread on them to get some opinions.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Reply to
Slap

I'll look into that. Thanks.