43 MPH rear end vibration on 1500HD

I thought I would ask the group, before I took it into the dearship to help with this problem. My 03' 2WD GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab (2,600 miles) has developed a vibration exactly between 41 to 43 MPH. Higher or lower then those speeds, the truck is fine - smooth. The vibration only occurs at those speeds & it feels like the truck is un-balanced or as if the rear alxe is traveling over very small rumble strips. It is a small vibration that you can feel throughtout the truck when it happens. The only modification that I have made to the truck that could be related, is that I switched out the stock 245/75-R16 Bridgestone's to LT265/75-R16 BF Goodrich tires. The tires have been balanced. It is possible that one of them is unbalanced or do I share this problem with other 1500 Crew Cab owners? I vaguely remember my 94' & 97' Sierra Extended Cab having a unbalanced problem at approx 47 MPH, but I got so acustom to it, I rarely noticed it. This is a bigger vibration. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
USFSIG

Now do you really want the dealership to have to test drive that truck at the unsafe speed of 43 mph? :-)

Was it OK right after you had the BFG's put on, and then developed the problem? If so, they may need rebalanced. If that doesn't fix it, try rotating the tires and see if that cures the problem.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

I bet he would simply like a dealership that will stand by thier warranty, and look at fixing any problems that his vehicle might have while operating under the conditions it was engineered to operate under.

I sincerely hope he gets good service at his dealership.

Trucks are not engineered to operate at high speeds, so he should have no problems with his warranty unless he was trying to do 120 when tha wobble occurs. but he was only doin 43 mph. I wonder what different amounts of load do with his problem.

If he had recently purchased a new vette, and was complaining that it grinds the ashphault when overloaded by say , a ton of bricks, or a load of logs, then i could see a dealer not wanting to touch the problem, as it is clearly not something the vehicle was engineered to accomlplish.

If i bought a truck I would expect it to carry a load. If a bought a vette, i would expect it to go fast ! If I have a warranty , i expect a dealer should honour it. If I have a service rep that gave me crap about my Vette wobblin like jello at 120 mph, i would never buy a chev again.

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

:- ) At least I feel a little vindicated.

Reply to
KJ

Every other time I have experienced this same problem it was a bad tire. Expect to find a bulge in the tire or the cap coming off. Balancing will not cure it as it isn't a balance problem. Every time the bad part of the tire comes in contact with the pavement you feel what you can only describe as an out of balance situation. The problem will show up again at 80 and that is where you don't want to experience it cause you risk a trip through the weeds at that speed.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl