4500 Question

Hi,

If I'm not in the right forum for this, please let me know.

I just purchased an 05 GMC 4500 4x4 cab & chassis, with a Duramax diesel and an Allison trans. I was fortunate to find this truck during the "Employee Discount" promotion this summer and saved a lot of money.

Having said that, we were lucky enough to have found this truck on the lot and it was VERY close to a truck we would have ordered anyway.

The only thing about it that we need to "beef up" is the charging system. It's fine as it came to operate it's own systems, but there isn't enough capacity left over for our use.

The dealer isn't much help so far with our quest to upgrade the alternator, or find the means to hang another seperate alternator on the engine to independently supply our electrical needs. This could be due to an inexperienced parts room staff or maybe they don't share my desire to find a solution.

I see these trucks all the time fitted out as everything under the sun, including motor homes, ambulances, service trucks and various construction vehicles of every design. No way do I believe that they are all relying on the miniscule alternator that's standard issue.

In the past we have fabricated our own brackets to run a seperate independent alternator, but those engines had more obvious room to work under the hood. This is not always the cheapest route, the hours spent in the shop to create something from scratch can be pricey.

I am asking for any direction to find my way through the Parts Department at either a GMC or Chevy dealership, or an aftermarket route.

Thanks in advance

James

Reply to
J & K Tomalonis

The ambulance prep package for the 4500 chassis, option YF2, includes dual

105 amp alternators. The option code for the alternators themselves is K65, giving you dual AD230 Bosch 105-amp alternators. The K65 option has an MSRP of $342.00 when ordered in conjunction with the YF2 package. I am not sure what the stand alone pricing for the alternators would be. This information was obtained from a chassis quote dated in late November. You are absolutely correct about the limited space beneath the hood. Ever since the chassis debuted, we have been after GM for an engine driven compressor option for ambulance use. Still not available. GM claims they want to get a foot hold on some segments of the market, but they always seems to be missing a few key components that are readily available from other OEMs.

As an aftermarket option, you may try Van's Electric in Indianapolis, IN. It is my understanding that they have conversion kits to upgrade alternator ouput while keeping the OEM casing. Van's may also be able to provide some of the bracketry that you referred to. Similarly, the ambulance manufacturer that I represent, has been swapping out one of the 105-amp alternators with a 210-amp alternator (originally this was a Delco alternator but it may be a Bosch now to coincide with the OEM brand). I haven't had the need to order a 4500 chassis ambulance recently. Naturally, the retrofit was approved by GM. Again, same size case utilizing the OEM provided connections/wiring. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Gary Picha

Greetings,

Go to your local fire station and ask to speak with someone in their maintenance department, which may be taken care of by the local municipality, county, or the fire department may have their own group. They should be able to help. Our units use aftermarket alternators by Leece-Neville as a replacement to the stock factory units. You could also do a brief search on the net for ambulance and emergency vehicle builders, any of whom would be glad to assist. We have one of the largest - Wheeled Coach - right here in Orlando.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan