4wd blows fuse

My 95 Silverado just started to blow 4wd fuse when I shift into 4wd. When I disconnect the thermal activator leads on the 4wd differential, the fuse holds OK. I read a solid short on the thermal activator terminals with the leads disconnected, which I believe means it's defective. Is this a normal reading or is it defective as I suspect? To replace the thermal activator do I have to first drain the differential or is the thermal activator separated internally from the differential lube? Anything complicated about changing the activator?

Reply to
Griffith

yep she's toast... *IIRC* it should read about 5-10 ohms for a good one.

toast.

no, you don't have to drain the diff, but look at is as an opportunity to swap out the fluid if you've got anything over 10k on the fluid.

not really..... get the 98+ electromechanical actuator and adapter harness. it's 100% more reliable (unaffected by the cold) and it's engagement is almost instantaneous. the PN is 26060073 for the actuator and the harness is PN 12376316 (for my '88). you'll need to check on the harness # as there are several #'s available. I paid $77 for the actuator and the harness was $22 from

w/ 8 bucks shipping (back in january). it was cheaper than
once shipping was factored in.

I absolutely love my new actuator.... I went through a GM and a NAPA thermal one before I updated.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Thanks for the advice Brett. I did what you said and have my 4wd back again. Saw a few snow flakes the other day and need 4wd for the Deer hunt next week. Garnet

Reply to
Griffith