5.7 Heater Hose Quick Connect

Greetings. The 5.7 in my '99 Yukon has a heater hose that attaches to the intake manifold with a quick connect fitting which is leaking. Is this a problem that can be corrected by replacing an o-ring or something similar, or do I need a new fitting? It doesn't appear rusted, just crusty with dried coolant.

Thanks, WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

Heh heh. It's corroded to hell. Get a new one at the part's store (autozone or wherever), and an 'EZ out' for pipe from the hardware store, cuz it'll break off when you try to unscrew it.

good luck...

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

And once you get that Easyout, and get that broken off stupid ass quick connect thing out of there, you can shit-can the whole thing and replace it with a nipple. Snip the hose, put in a hose repair kit, and clamp the new hose to the nipple.

Worst thing GM ever did was invent that set up. I had to replace my waterpump at 41K because it corroded so bad that even an easyout wouldn't get it out.

Rick K

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
luckystrike39

Thanks for your reply. I just got finished replacing the stupid thing. My

12 point socket rounded it off, so I sprayed it with PB Blaster and bought a 6 point (1 1/6"). After I hammered the socket on, it came off fairly easily. I actually had an Easyout in my toolbox that was the correct size, but I didn't need it. I'm going to buy a nipple like you suggest and keep it handy in case the replacement quick connect leaves me stranded. Do you clamp the hose onto the nipple's threads? Also, what's a hose repair kit? I guess I'll need to keep one of those handy too...

Agreed!

Thanks again, WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

buy the appropriate size hose barb, not a nipple. I'm not sure what he ment by a hose repair kit either.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

They make a hose barb with a pipe thread on the other end? I'll have to take a look down at the hardware store. I'd imagine it would be easier to just replace the hose than to cut and splice it. Then again, I haven't looked to see what kind of goofy fitting GM put on the other end....

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

The proper replacement fitting is only 10 bucks from NAPA.

Reply to
JR

Do you mean by proper the same as original? I bought one of those from a Chevy dealer for $12. The other posters were suggesting alternative replacements, which may be better.

I noticed the new fitting has what appears to be a flow restrictor in it. I'm not sure that's what it is, but maybe there is some reason for it. Only a GM engineer would know, I suppose.

Thanks for your reply,

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

======================== It is probably a restrictor for the heater core so it wont have so much pressure and flow on it. I would put something in the new one of about the same size. But thats just me.

Reply to
Scott M

The quick connect on the wife's 97 Yukon was leaking and had the usual build up of pinkish crap on it. I had the shop do a flush to remove the pink antifreeze and replace the fitting. I had it filled with Green antifreeze. Cost of the original type fitting was 10 bucks.

Reply to
JR