5 Speed tranny troubles

The shaft from the front of the transmission of my '89 Chevy 1/2ton PU has some play, and I hear what sounds like bearings rolling inside the case when I rotate the shaft. I'm assuming this is not a good thing. I had the tranny out to replace the clutch after if failed on me (friction disc broke inside and rotates freely). I also noticed the pilot bushing is worn to probably 1/16" oversized in diameter inside. Any hope of fixing the transmission myself? Anyone know a good place to find a manual or diagrams? I don't want to have to pay the money have someone else fix it or for a new one. Any advice?

Thanks,

dj

Reply to
Don Johnson

Non of us has a crystal ball. I could fix it. If you have the tools and experience I have, so can you. Go to a library, get a manual and see if you think you can do it. The pilot bearing is easy to get out. Find a length of rod that fits the hole. Fill the hole in the bearing with as much wheel bearing grease as you can possibly get in. Put the rod in and hit it with a hammer. Then clean out the grease. If the transmission was working properly when you removed it, it may be fine. Be sure it's full of the correct fluid and just put it back in.

Al

Reply to
Big Al