68 chevy truck painting

I have a 68 chevy truck which is primered gray, is there a site for learning how to paint your own truck? I don't have the money to pqy to have it done at a shop right now. I do have the the money to buy a spray gun and paint it a little at a time. A local shop quoted 2000.00 for a single coat of white, but I would have to remove bumbers, mirrors etc.. Any ideas for a novice who is handy and willing to learn Mike

Reply to
Mke

Hit the local community college or BOCES and take the auto body classes. They also take vehicles in as project/teaching items so ask them about that as well. It is well worth it if you want the paint to look good and last.

I hope that the truck is stored inside and that the primer is covering older paint. If this truck has been stripped and then primed using conventional primer I would pay to get it painted ASAP. Primer is NOT WATERPROOF. It will absorb water and hold it next to the steel. Not good. As for painting it a little at a time, don't bother. It can be REAL hard to get everything to match if you panel paint it. Instead Strip the trim and mask it and shoot the entire truck in one shot. If you want a nice job plan on sanding it down, coating with a good primer/sealer, sanding some more then blowing it all off and tacking it down. Then roll it in the paint booth and shoot it. Keep in mind that some states frown on people painting vehicles without a paint booth. Check the laws first.

Reply to
Steve W.
2000.00 : > for a single coat of white, but I would have : > to remove bumbers, mirrors etc.. Any ideas for a novice who is handy and : > willing to learn : > Mike : >

: >

: : Hit the local community college or BOCES and take the auto body classes. : They also take vehicles in as project/teaching items so ask them about : that as well. It is well worth it if you want the paint to look good and : last. : : I hope that the truck is stored inside and that the primer is covering : older paint. If this truck has been stripped and then primed using : conventional primer I would pay to get it painted ASAP. Primer is NOT : WATERPROOF. It will absorb water and hold it next to the steel. Not : good. As for painting it a little at a time, don't bother. It can be : REAL hard to get everything to match if you panel paint it. Instead : Strip the trim and mask it and shoot the entire truck in one shot. If : you want a nice job plan on sanding it down, coating with a good : primer/sealer, sanding some more then blowing it all off and tacking it : down. Then roll it in the paint booth and shoot it. Keep in mind that : some states frown on people painting vehicles without a paint booth. : Check the laws first. : : -- : Steve W. : Near Cooperstown, New York Thanks for the reply Steve. The truck is my second vehicle so right now I need it for transportation. I got the same info about the primer from the auto shop as you stated. Most likely will have to try the schools first. Not getting good reports about Maaco either. Thanks again. Looks like just going to have to bite the bullet and take it in to a shop. mike

Reply to
Mke