72 chevy 3 speed shifting problem

I have a 72 chevy pickup with a 3 in the tree shift mechanism. When I'm shifting from 1st to 2nd I get all sorts of grief in that the linkage will not permit me to shift to 2nd gear.

I've recently discovered that if I put some pressure on the shift lever (i.e., pull it towards me) as I shift from 1st to neutral, that the subsequent movement from neutral to 2nd works very smoothly each and every time.

If I don't put that pressure on the lever, what I see happening is the little fork that lifts up the link to the trans from 1st to neutral leaves the linkage behind. And you end up getting blocked from shifting to 2nd somehow.

Curious if anyone has run into this or a similar condition and what the fix might be.

Pat Phelps

Reply to
pat.phelps

The linkage is either worn or our of adjustment. There are adjustments right at the transmission. What usually happens it the lever falls into the 2-3 slot before the transmission is out of 1st. You can readjust the linkage if it's not worn too bad, and get it to work. You should be able to find a manual in the library to explain the procedure. But you may have to "fudge" a little to get it to work. Also be sure the clutch is releasing completely. If it drags shifting is more difficult and it will exaggerate linkage problems.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The adjustment is at the base of the column, not the tranny. Tranny needs to be in neutral, there is a small hole you insert a drill bit into that holds the "tabs" the linkages connect to on the column in alignment and then you tighten the nuts that clap the rods . The big problem is the "guide" plate wears in the column, and the bushings wear as well as the end of the shift lever. Usually the shift handle will feel real sloppy when that happens. I love a column shift, three speeds, four speeds, even had a simca 1500 deluxe sedan in germany with a five on the tree. But it might be easier to convert to a floor shift.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Had a '82 with the 3 on the tree, had to convert it to floor shift, the part of the coloum shifter that the shift lever pivots in, cracked and was basicly comming off the coloum, floor shift was easier and cheaper. see if Hurst shifters is still out there, have not looked for that name in a long time.

Reply to
Craig M

I had my son shift while I watched the linkage under the hood, and that's where I could see the problem with going from 1st back to neutral. When he didn't apply any backward pressure on the shifter, the linkage for 1st and reverse would be left in 1st gear.

The clutch is clearly working ok, just the linkage is a problem. I'm looking for a solution as I like the 3 in the tree.

The nuts on the rods appear to be for adjusting the linkage to make the rods longer or shorter so I'm thinking that will not help to muck with those as they get me into the gears perfectly.

I am almost inclined to try and bend the forks to give less room for the linkage to slip past the fork when going up from 1st to neutral.

Pat

Whitelightn> >

Reply to
pat.phelps