8.1L engine

I'm about to buy a 2005 RV (20,000lb) with the 8.1L GM engine. My only experience with larger gasoline engines is the Ford V-10 in a

16,000lb RV. Is this the ng to ask about the 8.1L engine? or is there a specific group for that? If this is the group, please let me know what to expect? Thanks in advance, Tim fm CT
Reply to
Tim fm CT

You might also try rec.outdoors.rv-travel.

I had an acquaintance a few years back that had the 8.1L engine in a good size class A and he was very happy with it.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Recer

i own one in a Sierra one ton duelly. A wonderful engine as far as i'm concerned. Plan on a little oil consumption. After all it is a big block chevy. . And the piston slap noise when cold is pretty much normal and goes away upon warmup. Likes the gas though. I wouldn't plan on much more than 9 or so with 20k lbs.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the RV ng. I'd be happy with 9mpg. The V10 averaged 7.8mpg. Any particulars on the engine would be appreciated.....especially efficient RPM/speed range. Tim fm CT

Reply to
RTimothy

I pull a relatively light fifth wheel, and the truck will get *almost*

11 mpg if i keep it under 63 mph. If i go over that, it'll suck it down. Also, the allison automatic works great if you don't use the cruise in the hills. Drive it yourself, and anticipate the hills, you can get over them without it dropping out of OD. let the cruise do it, and the gas will will be wide open and trans dropped down 1 or 2 gears. The cruise on mine is very aggressive.
Reply to
Steve Barker

I've got a K2500 2001 Suburban with the 8.1 big block in it. It gets about

9 mpg in the city and 11 on the highway. Just pasted 100K miles last weekend towing a 7000 lb travel trailer. Towing with hills brings it down to about 6 mpg. Solid engine, the only engine problem I've had was a bad crankshaft position sensor (under $150) that caused it to stall for no reason. And yes it does burn oil. About one quart over 3000 miles. I think it holds about 6.5 quarts of oil.

Dr. R in AZ

Reply to
Dr. R in AZ

Thanks for your replies. I drove 400 miles to get home and really liked it. It seemed to make a howling sound in low gears but decreased as it shifted to higher gears. Wow, did it respond when I hit the resume button on the cruise control. It flat out roared back to the set speed. It seemed to cruise at higher speeds at lower RPM. I think the Ford had a three speed automatic plus overdrive. The Allison is four speed plus overdrive. Thanks for the oil consumption tip. I'll really pay attention to that. It does feel like a more powerful engine. Tim fm CT

Reply to
RTimothy

the 'howling' is the planetary action in the allison. normal sound. Sound of strength.

Steve Barker

Steve, Thanks again for the info. I'll have to go fill it up so I can see how it did for mpg. BTW: I noticed that the info window in the speedo showed instantaneous mpg. Is there a setting to get average mpg for a trip? Tim fm CT

Reply to
RTimothy

depending on the display you have, you should be able to get average also. play with the buttons on the steering wheel or read the OM.

Steve Barker