8.1L with six speed manual

Been in a couple dealers trying to order a 8.1L six speed manual truck. That combo is in the sales literature, but they can't order it??? What gives?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

"Big Al" sez:

Dealers are notoriously lazy when it comes to selling anything that isn't sitting on the lot. They'll give that story just to get rid of you. Insist on talking to the fleet sales manager or check to see if your credit union has a buying service (it may be worth joining a credit union just for this). I've always had better luck with the several buying services I've worked with to get *just* what I wanted instead of settling for the closest thing I could find that was parked on a dealer lot.

Good wrenchin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that's the problem. The can't put the truck together in the computer to price it??

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I just tried the Chevy website, looks like you can do it on there. Build your truck online, and ether order it online, or take the printout to the dealer and have them make it happen. If they cant put it into the computer, someone higher up the chain can.

Reply to
Trey

In all probability the reason they can't order it is that that particular drivetrain combination is on 'restraint'. (Read: not able to get at this time) Usually the management will have a bulletin that will tell them the estimated time that the combo may be available again. That combo was on restraint for several months when the 8.1 was first released. Seems there were problems with the clutch.

The brochures are not very reliable. They are printed several months in advance. Also, just because you can build it on Chevy's website, doesn't mean that a Chevy dealer can order it from the factory at this particular time. Find a knowledgeable dealer and sales manager and they should be able to determine the problem for you.

Jerry H. -- Retired GMC sales manager

Reply to
Jerry Hamilton

Ha ha ha, I live in Tucson. I went to a Chevy and GMC dealer. Talked to them and both said they would get back to me. I'll be dead before I hear from them. The guys at the GMC dealership couldn't get into the computer. No one knew the password:) After about 15 minutes of screwing around they found a computer that was already on line and then could not figure out how to select the truck.

Al

Reply to
Big Al