8100 or deisel crew cab dually ?

Does anyone own either one of these? I know I am getting a crew cab dually, just curious about the engines.I just snagged another contract for my delivery business and my half ton truck is NOT going to cut it pulling the trailer. I have a family of 4 so I am going to buy a truck I can use for family and business . I will be travelng some pretty healthy miles. I am just curious what would be recommended between the deisel or the gas 8100? I would rather have a gas engine, unless the desiel is quiet and saves some fuel $$$'s. Yesterday a good friend of mine bought a 2004 F-250 Powerstroke desiel. I sat in it and instantly knew i am not going to listen to that driving down the road. Also if anyone has the DVD set up in their truck. We think we want seperate screens on the backside of the captain chairs intead of the ceiling flip down screen. is this an option from the dealer or do we need to have a custom built truck? Have a Great One and Thanks ! Bob :)

Reply to
~Perkins Racing~

The Diesel has awesome pulling power and the Duramax is pretty quiet in the cab. You will have to drive a LOT of miles to make any savings with the Diesel over the gas. In most places, Diesel costs more then regular gas. Also, if you spend a lot of time in very cold areas, I have been told Diesel will gel when its freezing, or below freezing. Another argument is there are not as many places to get Diesel fuel. This may be true, but you have a lot more range, and there are companies like "Transferflow" that make after market fuel tanks for Diesels for even more range.

I personally prefer the Diesels. I don't need a high-revving engine for racing around in, I need the low end torque of the diesel.

The best thing to do is to test drive both and see how you like it. People on this NG will argue for and against both engines.

Reply to
Trey

Thanks Trey ! Like you said I don't need a zippy get around town ride either. I need something to pull about 8000 lbs up and down the highway 3 days a week and when I home have a vehicle for the family. I am going to test drive both to see. as for the Deisel not being easy to find that is true. but the contracts I have picked up run me from Omaha to Souix Falls, SD which I know where stations are. I'm sure I'll end up with the gas engine just because of the weight I'll be hauling. Now if I was pulling double that I would probably want more down a dirty deisel torque. I'll drive em' both and get back with my opinion. Thanks again for the response ! Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
~Perkins Racing~

If all you are pulling is 8K pounds, the 6.0L will do you fine and save you money upfront and on gas to boot! I had a 2500HD w/ the 6.0L first and it did OK pulling our fifth-wheel that comes in close to 10K lbs. This is that engine's upper limit. It got about 11.5 - 12 MPG average while not towing and around 9.5 MPG towing the fifth-wheel. Maybe the 6.0L isn't available once you go to a dually, I don't know.

The 8.1L in a crew cab long box, single wheels, gets an average of 8.2 MPG city/hwy and around 12 MPG all hwy. The Allison is the wonder behind it! Very nice! I tested a diesel, but just couldn't justify the expense with the low amount of miles I put on a vehicle. It definitely has serious low end power.

Reply to
Kevin

Check with the people at rec.outdoors.rv-travel

A lot of them use diesels and I think you will find most swear by them. If you are traveling the interstates diesel fuel is easy to find. Since farmers use it, the small towns most always carry it too. Around the big cities I notice it usually is most common near interstate offramps. If you look at the flyingJ price list you will find it averages just about the same as regular.

The Duramax will be a just a bit noisier than the gas, especially while it is warming up. And they are not made for short trips. Takes about four or five miles before they get up to temperature.

GM offers a "power package" discount on the diesel so it ends up costing about $3000 more than the 8.1L.

Maintenance is a bit more expensive too. 10 quarts of oil and more expensive filters. Duramax has a 100,000 mile/ 5 year warranty. Running at low rpm most all diesels have long life.

That Allison is really a great item. They have what every transmission should have, and external filter as well as internal. It takes a while to get used to it's speed control when going down a steep hill.

Reply to
Dick

My friend has a 2500HD 4x4 Diesel Crew cab and he gets about 16MPG combined (City/Highway)average. It has great power, and is really quiet when your inside.

Reply to
Trey

After looking at GM's site, with the Duramax all you need is the

3.73's to get max trailer weight. 13,800 with the 2500HD crew cab, 14,900 with the 3500 crew cab, not having 4WD only gives you 100 lbs more capacity in the 3500, 1500 lbs more capacity in the 2500HD. I imagine the 3.73 will get you a nice increase in mileage, as well as getting the Duramax...

12,000 lbs is the max for any of the HD series using a ball-hitch, so

2500HD or 3500 makes no diff there, unless you plan on going with a 5-er eventually, or already tow >Thanks Trey !
Reply to
Mike Levy

I've recently purchased a Chevy 2500HD crewcab with the Duramax diesel and the Allison tranny and I think I should put in my two cents worth on price. I have seen many folks on several newsgroups declare that it is hard to justify the extra expense of a diesel when you factor in the nickel extra a gallon it costs over regular and the extra oil it uses, but I can say from personal experience that the price difference is not as significant as some make it out to be.

When I first started pricing new trucks back last September, the truck I have (LS model, 2wd, 3.73 rear, single rear wheels) spec'd out at $42,500, which was the going price at the time here in central Florida. I began shopping in earnest at the end of the year right after Christmas hoping to save a few grand on a year-end sale. The exact same truck I priced in September now came with rebates ($2500 on the truck and $1000 on the Duramax/Allison combo), and between the rebates and the sale price my new truck cost me $32,400, a savings of over ten grand. The way I figured it, between the sale discount and the rebates, the Duramax and the Allison were free, negating any additional cost when calculating how much it takes to have the diesel over the gasser. BTW - I am currently getting 20mpg in combined driving, which is what I got starting with my very first full tank of fuel. I'm waiting to switch to synthetic motor oil before I begin any serious towing, so I don't have any mileage figures for a loaded run yet. In my neck of the woods, regular runs at $1.59/gal and diesel runs $1.64/gal, but if I'm getting twice the mileage that the big block gasser is getting, then it's five cents per gallon well spent.

Maybe I was in the right place at the right time, but I'm certainly not going to complain about the money I've spent so far on this truck.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

We test drove a 2004 2500hd with the 8.1 496 today. it wasn't the dually because they were sold out. but WOW I was impressed with the power. and I was extremely impressed with the way it handled for an HD truck. it was more like a caddy than a truck. when we got back in our Tahoe which is solid as a rock, I told my girlfriend it feels like were driving a 6 cylinder. and it's a 5.7 vortec. Pretty impressive ! When I alked to the salesman I was surprised when he said there is a $5300.00 difference in price from he 8.1 and the Duramax Deisel. he also told me Chevy is 8-10 weeks behind on the Duramax orders around the country ! Must be a hot item. Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
~Perkins Racing~

Bob - "he also told me Chevy is 8-10 weeks behind on the Duramax orders around the country ! Must be a hot item." That statement alone should tell you something... no waiting list for the

8.1? I'd go diesel if it were me.

Buck F.

Reply to
Buck F.

He is talking about the new Duramax (Torque now 590 Ft. Lb. and HP up to

325, up from 520 Ft. Lb. and 300 HP).

The 8.1L is $950 extra over the 6L gas therefore the Duramax is $4300 more than the 8.1L. Takes a long time to recover that. I have heard

100,000 miles quoted.

Kelly Blue book still shows the price for the old one.

Are they are still making them too? With it you could get another $1000 off by getting the power package (ordering the Allison and Limited Slip Rear Axle.)

he also

I ordered in late September and got delivery in early December. Had to do that to get a 2WD without bucket seats. The dealers around here only stock 4WD with all the options.

Reply to
Dick

That statement alone should tell you something... no waiting list for the

8.1? I'd go diesel if it were me. Buck F.

they didn't have the 8.1 in the crew dually on hand but he said they could find one when if I wanted it. lol he probably had one being delivered that day. I haven't drove the desiel yet. but I will before I buy. what kind of milage does the Duramax get? anyone know?. he had a book that gave estimates on weighpuleed by what engine. I think he said the 8.1 would get between 8 and 10 miles per gallon with 8000 lbs being pulled. i think that's what he said. Have a Great One ! Bob :

Reply to
~Perkins Racing~

I drove the Duramax today. I'm getting the Deisel. I seen that someone posted they get about double the fuel milage as the 8.1. I think it's worth the extra money for the deisel.the torque feeling was awesome. That was he quietest Deel I have ever drove in my life ! Have a Great One ! Bob :)

Reply to
~Perkins Racing~

I think you will like it. They are still a bit noisy when warming up but still relatively quiet.

Are you getting it off the lot or ordering? If ordering you perhaps you would be getting the RPO LLY Engine (590 Ft. Lb. Torque & 310 HP). If off the lot it will probably still be the LB7 (520 Ft. Lb. & 300 HP).

I just talked to a dealer yesterday and he said the Duramax are a bit slow in coming in as the factory was badly damaged by a hurricane and they are just getting back on line. He has not seen the RPO LLY engines yet. The only place I have seen anything about the new engine is in the Diesel forums. Not much on the GMC site except if you go to build your own option they show the engine being available for $200 more than the LB7. (And does not qualify for the $1000 power package discount).

And I have found out that as someone told me, that Allison transmission is so smart it is spooky.

Reply to
Dick

wow, a hurricane in OH....musta missed that one on the news. the dealer was blowing smoke up your ass. all Duramax's are built in Moraine, OH... a hell of along way from any hurricane.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I was aware of that. He was referring to a factory that made parts for the Duramax and I did not quiz him any further. I should have said "a factory" instead of "the factory". They get parts come from all over the world and assemble them in Ohio. The point is that they have not seen the new ones yet which were due in this month.

Reply to
Dick