'82 GMC v-6 engine sizes

Having a hell of a time trying to locate a clutch assmb for a friends 4 speed 1982 GMC S15. I don't know what size his V6 engine is. Does anyone know the sizes these engines came in and where to locate that info on the block? in appreciation. . .chas

Reply to
Chas

The only V-6 used in the early 80s S-10/S-15's was the 2.8 liter. Same as my '84 S-10 Blazer. The 4.3 was not added until 1988.

Also see

In 1982 the VIN code = B

Reply to
Reed

82 would have the 2.8 in it.

Clutch kits -

GM - Delco # 19182433 Rock Auto - Brute Power # 90128 Rock Auto - Rhino # 04508 Rock Auto - Sachs # K189401 Advance Auto - Perfection # MU1900-1 Auto Zone - Duralast # NU1894-1 Pep Boys - LUK # 04-068 NAPA - NCF 1104068

Reply to
Steve W.

I thank both you gentlemen for the assistance. Just what I needed.

Reply to
Chas

It is rare, when a poster uses good manners on Usenet. I was reading another (less polite) couple of posts on another list. It is a pleasure to find someone with manners.

The contrast is jarring, to say the least.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're welcome.

The 2.8 in the Blazer I had never impressed me much. In later years I stuck a 3.4 L32 out of a 95 Camaro in it. Fuel injection and the extra HP and torque really made a difference. Plus it was almost a bolt in swap.

Reply to
Steve W.

************************* I have been informed that to replace the clutch assmb one has to pull the motor. Can't work it from underneath. Can you confirm this?. . .thank you. Chas
Reply to
Chas

A mechanic friend of mine, cautioned me about one of the engines. I had a

2.8 in one of my S-10 trucks, and it served me well. I think it was the 2.5 that had oil delivery problems?

.

You're welcome.

The 2.8 in the Blazer I had never impressed me much. In later years I stuck a 3.4 L32 out of a 95 Camaro in it. Fuel injection and the extra HP and torque really made a difference. Plus it was almost a bolt in swap.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds goofy, to me. I'd think the clutch and tx are under there.

My s-10 pickup, the clutch pedal was badly worn, and the "self adjuster" didn't work hardly at all. I bought another pedal, but never quite put it in. Might still have it.

.

************************* I have been informed that to replace the clutch assmb one has to pull the motor. Can't work it from underneath. Can you confirm this?. . .thank you. Chas
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The 2.8 had a few problems in the earlier versions. The oil system was designed for transverse mounting and the oil passages made oil a problem when the engine aged.

Reply to
Steve W.

4X4 or 2WD?

On the 2wd you can pull the trans and work from there. Pull the radiator shroud and fan off first, then use a jack to lower the rear of the trans after you take off the rear cross-member. Then use a LONG extension to get to the bell housing bolts.

On the 4X4 you can do almost the same thing. BUT the transfer case makes it harder to handle because the front shaft doesn't have a lot of room for access.

For both you may want to replace the U-Joints on the rear shaft since you will have it out anyway.

In both cases getting to a couple of the bolts creates "interesting" language.

While you are there you might also want to check/replace the ground connection to the rear of the passenger side head, they have a habit of rotting and causing mysterious electrical problems.

Reply to
Steve W.

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:42:47 -0500, "Steve W." wro

I'm just tickled there is an 82 still running!!

Reply to
4546

****************************************** 4X4 or 2WD?-------------------- It's Two Wheel Drive

On the 2wd you can pull the trans and work from there. Pull the radiator shroud and fan off first,

--------------- Off hand I can't imagine what doing this would accomplish...is the shroud bolted to the engine? Can you tell me please?. . . .

then use a jack to lower the rear of the trans after you take off the rear cross-member. Then use a LONG extension to get to the bell housing bolts.

---- In my youth I had that special lanuage you mentioned. . ..thanks again. . .chas

Reply to
Chas

The shroud and fan are VERY tight clearance wise, when you tilt the back of the engine down the fan can break the shroud. Removing the fan also means that should the jack slip under the truck you won't also be replacing the radiator because the fan peeled it open.

And you WILL be tilting the engine down a bit, the bell housing bolts can be a real bear to get out because of the way the body sits. The book actually tells you to pull the body bolts and jack it out of the way to get to them. I usually just place a stuff bar above the bolt and bend the body seam up so it clears.

Reply to
Steve W.

*********************** It appears you have saved me hours and hours of labor, all unnecessary. . . .I sure appreciate these tips and hints you have presented. . .chas. >
Reply to
Chas

I've owned and worked on more than a few of them. It wasn't until they switched over to the 4.3 that they finally adjusted the motor mounts enough that you could get in there easily from below, and that is only on the 2WD. The 4X4s are still very tight on one side because of all the crap down that side.

Reply to
Steve W.