'85 Chevy g30 Diesel fuel meter

The fuel gauge on my '85 g30 van isn't working. I have a Haynes manual that isn't any help at all in this regard.

There is an electrical wire dangling from the engine that should connect to the crankcase(?) on the driver's side. It's a tab and slot kind of connector, but the tab on the crankcase broke off when I tried to reattach it.

Any ideas as to what that electrical connector might be for? Gas? Transmission?

thanks

Reply to
barfweasel

oops, not the crankcase at all. I'm new to motor engines. I guess the wire is supposed to connect to the transmission / driveshaft.

Reply to
barfweasel

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Need more information... Is the wire green...if so this may be a glow plug wire (glow plug is below manifold and looks like a small spark plug). There will be 3 more similar wires on the same side of the engine (4 glow plugs each side). If the wire has a black plastic plug on the end, I think the wire is white) then it may go to the coolant temp sensor which is mounted on the drivers side head towards the front of the van just below the manifold. Describe the item the wire connected too... The transmission you have is not computer controlled but does have a wiring harness that runs to it for shift interlock and torque converter lock up. All of these wires will be in a plastic loom and not free. So most likely, it isn't transmission but a wire for the glow plug system or for the gauges. As a side note go to Wal-Mart, get yourself a couple cans of rustoleum spray paint, and climb under the rear of the van. Look at the place where the rear leaf spring connects to the van. This is the spring pocket, which is welded to the frame and to the body. When these parts rust away, the van is now trash. The pocket on my 83-diesel van rusted away and now the van is sitting in the driveway waiting for me to learn how to structurally weld sheet metal. So jump under there clean everything and spray everything very well. This is critical. Hit the whole back of the underbody. Because of this, I can't drive a van that runs like a top and gets 17 mpg in the city....

ok back to the gauge. Are the rest of the gauges working? If so then either the sender in the tank is bad or the gauge is bad.

good luck, mark

Reply to
r_d