85 Chevy Silverado: How to test temperature gauge?

I have an 85 Chevey Silverado. recently I had to replace the instrument cluster housing because of a bad connection with the gas gauge. Now my Temperature gauge will not work, and I am at a loss for how to test it. I did manage to replace the gauge with another one from the same type vehicle and this did not work either. I tested the two main leads to the right and left and together they are bringing in a strong 12 volts but I am at a loss for how to test the top lead as I believe this is the one that sends the voltage that alters the gauge itself. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Blevins

Take the wire off the temp sender located on the engine and ground it. The gauge should peg.

Reply to
Randd01