86 350 compatibility

Me again,

Thanks for the very valuable information in answer to my previous post. OK, so I won't go for one of the many 305s available nearby, so I am still searching for a reasonably priced 350 for my 86 half ton. I've seen some other motors advertised not near here, I'm not sure if it's worth the trip to look at them ( I live in the middle of nowhere, so everything is at least a couple of hours' drive) Is a Buick motor compatible? What's the difference between a 2 & 4 bolt (I'm told the one in the truck is a 4 bolt)?

Thanks again.

-JD

Reply to
John D

2 vs. 4 bolt refers to the number of bolts holding the main bearing caps to the block. 95% of the time 2 bolts per cap is more than sufficient. Buick engines are incompatible with the bolt pattern on your tranny, and would also require modification of engine mounts. It wasn't untill the reintroduction of the Roadmaster in 91 that Buick used the "Chevy" V8, as Buick had gone V-6 on all its other vehicles..

Now I will go against the grain. If your using this rig as a basic transport, a daily driver, as opposed to a work rig hauling heavy loads and pulling heavy trailers a 305 will get the job done.

If a 350 is the way you want to go, why not look to your local dealership and order a Target 350?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

What part of the country are you in? I have a strong 350 Long Block that I could see my way clear to selling...

I agree 100% about the 2-bolt. More than enough in a stock engine.

Yup...Buick is NOT a drop in engine. Neither is Pontiac or Olds.

All 305's are junk in my opinion and in the opinion of every Chevy Friend I have, so its a personal call.

Reply to
Shades

I understand about the difference between 2 & 4 bolt mains, what I was wondering was if there's a difference in how they bolt to the frame or the tranny. So if I'm getting this correctly, any chev 305, 350 or 400 will drop right in, but other GM brands have different patterns? I'll check about the price/avail of the Target etc.

Right now I'm looking at several 350s that are described as good runners, costing between $3-400. The problem is they're not close by. It'll be a hassle if I get one home and it's no good, then I have to drive a couple hundred km to fight to get my money back. I live near a town called Wingham in Southwest Ontario, if you're within driving distance, I'd be happy to take it off your hands!

There is a truck in town I can buy for $250, the body's shot, but it's got a good 4.3 in it. My truck originally had a 4.3, it'd require the rad, mounts and probably the tranny be switched back over.

-JD

Reply to
John D

The 4.3, all small block Chevies, 235/250/292 straight sixes, Big Block Chevies have the same bellhousing pattern. The side mounts are going to be in different places on the engine families. The other brands use either the BOP (Buick/Olds/Pontiac) or the Cadillac pattern. Then you also can toss in the special patterns like the 2.8-3.4 and the other import engines GM used.

Reply to
Steve W.

Just to head off a potential miss-statement, the 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 are not import engines, nor is the 2.5 four banger.that shares the same bolt pattern. Any small block Chevy will drop in. 265, 283, 302, 305, 307, 327, 350, or

400. I even have in the garage, a 64 small journal i.e. forged steel crank 283 long block with a blown head gasket that would work just fine. Whitelightning
Reply to
Whitelightning

Guess I could have tossed a couple more words in there. I've got a couple 283s as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

I am in NW Iowa...It is within driving distance, but not a short driving distance. I would take $400 for it. But probably not practical financially to drive here to get it...

Reply to
Shades