'87 Fleetside to Stepside conversion -comments?

Thinking I'd like a Stepside but have a fairly nice '87 Fleetside. Any thoughts on how tough a project this would be? Of course the Fleetside is a 'longbox'. Was there a 'longbox stepside'?

The stepside did exist in '87 but I don't know if there was a longbox version. I guess if I could find a junker...

Dave

Reply to
Sounds like a Porsche

Nope, stepside's are short-bed only WEG

Reply to
Mad Dog

Course you could always go back a few years. 70's and earlier models did come in a long bed step side version. I would imagine a 71-73 bed would look ok. choice would be wither to have the spare tire mount on the left fender, or no tire mount(fenders were "dimpled" to accept the spare. I have seen rigs with spares on both sides, under wheel covers of course that didnt look to shabby at all.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to
Robert Francis

I'm looking at the LMC Truck Catalog... they only list the Bed Sides for the shortbox but they list bolt kits, bed wood kits etc for longbox versions. That might just be generic stuff tho.

I'm wondering if the wheelbase is longer on the longbox or if maybe they just extended the frame a bit. I guess I'd better find one to look at as I'm not even sure how long the shortbox is.

Dave

Reply to
Sounds like a Porsche

Long box frames are longer infront of the rear wheel, and behind it. The best way to do this would probably be to find a really nice step side out in az that needs some TLC but has no rust and ship it here. I have now become convinced that there is no way to fix up something that is even rotting out a little for less than it costs to ship something with no rot.

GMC Gremlin (Got a quote on a K5 from California to NH for $600.00)

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

*sigh*

I used to have a 1977 longbed stepside..........

sold it to a guy back in 1991, he rebuilt the motor, and is still driving it....

-- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 718 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try

for free now!

Reply to
markansas859

An 8 foot stepside was offered in 1984 - we had one.

Harry Face