87 S-10 Idle High

I'm having a bit of trouble with my little 1987 S-10. The idle speed it too high. First I thought it was the darn injectors which were spitting fuel so I replaced those and cleaned out the injector assembly, replaced the gaskets and put it back together. Same thing but now the fuel spray looks nice. I can hear alot of air coming from the firewall but I'm sure this is because the air idle valve is letting in air.

Here's the interesting thing... When I disconnect the engine coolant thermometer (near the front of the engine next to the coolant hose) the idle returns to normal.

How can I check the coolant thermometer with an ohm meter?

Also, this problem didn't start until I was gunning the engine one day down the road. Could I have messed up a temporary computer setting and if so, any ideas on how to reset it.

Oh, and one other thing, the temperature gauge on the insturment cluster has never worked in the year I have owned the vehical but this problem is new.

Again, I did replace the injectors which were cruddy!

Email address is valid so if you desire to send helpful hints directly you may.

Thanks, Joe snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
joeschmuckatelli2002

Vacuum leak. Probably near where you seem to think the air idle valve is.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes, I plan to check for vacuum leaks, its just strange the engine idle returns to normal when disconnecting the coolant temp sensor.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
joeschmuckatelli2002