'88 454 won't start

Hi- I recently bought an '88 Chevy Dually with a 454. It ran fine for a while, actually did not drive it much due to gas prices. Last weekend we were going camping so my wife and I got it all packed, wood, clothes

2 kids in car seats, dog etc.. and the truck would not start.* No Spark. My buddy came over later and we traced it down to no spark from the coil. Replaced the coil with a new one and still no spark. What else should we do? Do you think it could be the computer?

**Funny story** About 3 years ago a very similar situation happened. Going camping with a couple of friends. They get to our house throw their stuff in our '98 Ford F150, back over to the wood pile to get the fire wood. Load the wood then go to start the truck it wouldn't. Sitting in the almost exact same spot. That ended up being a faulty starter cable.

Reply to
aGraham

In the following order:

  1. Check for voltage to the coil with key set to ON. Should have 12-14 volts at the harness (big red wire). If there isn't any voltage either the ignition switch is bad or the wire has a short.
  2. Remove the ignition control module (located under the distributor cap) and take it to the nearest Autozone to be tested. If the ICM tests bad replace it.
  3. Disconnect the tachometer lead from the coil as a shorted tach lead will cause no spark.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

doc is right on the nose!

Reply to
Randd01

as usual....

Reply to
Eightupman

Just wanted to say a big thanks... Had a few minutes to spare yesterday so i decided to try the easiest fix on the list. Disconnected the tach lead and the truck fired right up. Now just need to see where the lead is shorted and fix it.

Reply to
aGraham

Thank you..................thank you very much.........................

Reply to
"Doc"