88 Chev truck with a 4.3L 92 Astro Van motor

Hello Everyone

First off let me start out by saying, I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. However I'm comfortable about tackling things.

The motor struggles when cold and will stall out just about any old time for the first few minutes, it seems to settle down after the truck warms up a bit.

When I accelerate there is a sudden pause and then accelleration. This will continue until the car really warms up good.

Are the above two comments part of the same problem or are they possibly two different problems? I have tried a thorough cleaning of the throttle body and a new distributer cap/rotar. I've had the wires look at and they are good. The problem(s) continued unchanged.

I took the truck to a friends home and stuck it on his diagnostic. It gave a error code 43, the ESC module had a problem. This is where it ends for me. I have no idea where or what this is until I do a bit of reading. Something to do with controlling the knock or something??

Anyways I'm thinking this is something that would just be replaced, so I identified the module on the sensor tree next to the throttle body.

After quite a bit of dialog with the seller including me sending him a picture of the ESC module in question, I bought a bunch of modules off this fella via ebay. Cost me all of 40 bucks for a package of them.

Can I go ahead and unscrew ESC module and unplug and replace it with the one I bought without worry? Do I need to do anything more than just that? Should I disconnect the battery to do this?

Regards Dale

Reply to
Email

This oughta be interesting. My 86 305 G20 is behaving much the same way.

Reply to
René

Well I suppose I'm a little impatient, but I went ahead and unhooked my battery and installed about 4 different sensor/modules all on the tree of modules by the throttle body.

I wasn't even sure what I was changing. I did however know that I was putting on a new ESC module.

Well low and behold everything worked :-). It seems I have stopped my stalling and surging.

Now all I need to do is fix my door and I'll be happy camper.

Cheers Dale

Reply to
Email

Good deal on getting it fixed by replacing the module. ESC stands for electronic spark control. Other things to check are knock sensors if that didn't fix it. A wacky knock sensor can throw the ESC into confusion. Other than that, the ECM may need to be updated with new antiknock software update. Glad it running well for you now.

Reply to
Jay