89 chevy fuel problems

Does any one out there have any advice for me as to tell me how to fix my truck it is an 89 chevy silverado Z71 4x4 the other day i was driving down the road and my truck started acting like it was trying to stall and then it would go a little further and it would sputter and jerk again i replaced the sparkplugs, plug wires, and replaced the egr valve. I even replaced a relay on the fire wall beside the fuel pump fuse. I went to try and crank my truck and it will turn over but there is no gas pumping into the throttle body. My meter is reading twelve volts at the battery the fuel pump fuse but when i go under the truck and the three prong plug on the side of the truck is only reading 12 volts out of two of the prongs. I also checked at the fuel pump itself i have twelve volts going to it but i don't have twelve volts coming out of it. I just bought a new fuel pump two days ago so i know it caouldn't be that but there it a lil square piece that has the three wires on the other side of the three pronged pleug that run to it and there are four other wires coming out the are the same color but it has one extra wire on it and it is a ground. The wire colors are 1purple which i think is power to the float, 1back and white +1grey wich runs to the pump itself and a solid black which is a ground does any one know what is the problem with my truck ?

Reply to
syork

SNIP

---------

Ignition Control Module inside the distributor cap. Replace it.

HDS

Reply to
HDS

turn off your radio and anything that will make noise in the truck, have someone get in and shut the door, while you stand outside your truck by the fuel door. have them turn the key forward, but not try to start. you should hear your fuel pump spin up for about 1 second and then stop, from my understanding, that's the pump pressurizing the line and then cutting off until the engine starts. that's probably why you don't get the expected voltage. however, if you hear the pump spin up, it is still good. if not, you probably need to replace it.

you can also test your pump by removing the line to the fuel filter and do the same, a surge of gas should come out. better yet, test after the filter as well, it could be plugged up from funk in the tank...that could be what killed your old pump, it's on the frame rail underneath the cab.

if all that's good and you're still not getting any gas, i would suspect that your fuel pressure regulator has failed or that your injectors are clogged. both are easy fix since you have TBI.

go to the auto parts store and ask for a TBI Rebuild kit for your truck and it has all the gaskets, o-rings, injector filters and fuel pressure regulator replacement for about $30.

i can't remember for sure, but i think if you take off your air filter and try to start the truck, you should be able to hear your injectors click, if not, you might want to check their fuse in the dash fuse panel.

Reply to
nanook