89 S-10 Pick Up Clutch problem

Replaced slave and master a month ago. Worked fine until yesterday. Pulled away from stop sign and it wouldn't shift.

Removed the inspection plate and it show about one inch of travel when clutch pedal is pushed to floor but it will not allow shifting.

Trans shifts fine with engine off. No odd noises or clunks leading to problem. TIA for any clues.

Reply to
F.H.

I have never worked on an s-10 or a hydraulic for that matter but it's the same principle I guess. If you see 1 inch movement then you need to look further and see what is going on.It sounds like the clutch lever is broken or the pivet stud came out. That is assuming that the trans mounting bolts are tight.

Reply to
brianorion

I had an earlier one which was "self adjusting". That was a whole lot of troubles. I doubt my experience with a self adjusting cable will be much use to you, and a hydraulic actuator.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, as I said, I've got about an inch of travel on the shaft that connects to the clutch lever (arm or whatever you call it) but no disengagement. Tomorrow, just for the hell of it I'm going to make another shaft a little longer, stick it in and see what happens. If nothing else maybe I can limp it to my mechanic. Getting to old to R&R a transmission.

Reply to
F.H.

On my older one (can't remember what year my S-10 pickup was). The adjuster was on the bottom, had to crawl under. After many years of messing around, I put one of these

the shaft that went to the clutch. I can't describe it well in words. But, I put that on the shaft. Between the loop from the transmission. And the bolt that normally pulled the loop. I could draw it faster than I could write it. On my Chevette, when I broke a clutch cable. I started the engine in neutral. Pushed the car as fast as I could about 3 MPH. Jump in, cram the shift into first. It was about half past midnight, and some how I drove it more than a mile, to the repair garage, that way.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are no cables on this guy. Straight hydraulics. The slave cylinder has a push rod that goes directly to the clutch arm. Talked to a guy yesterday who is an S-10 fan and he said the arms have been upgraded because they to flimsy and sometimes bend.

I'll post the cure when I find it. Looks like R&R trans time.

Reply to
F.H.

Yes, yours is a whole different model. I wish you the best. You sound creative, and very skilled.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon