89 S10 2WD 4.3V6 Auto Seems to be frying distributors, formerly wouldn't start

Truck as described above.

Parked truck on day, wouldn't start the next.

Replaced ignition coil, plugs, wires, and module located on distributor plus module located on the firewall. Still wouldn't start.

Replaced distributor (which included the same new module mounted on it) the truck ran for 30 minutes (idling, plus some up and down the driveway) and then died.

Went to auto parts store thinking it was a defective distributor, got a new one.

Started truck, ran for 30 minutes, then I turned it off. Now it won't start again.

Is something in the truck breaking the distributor? I'm really at a loss with this one. TDC isn't changing between distributor swaps, so I know that the timing chain is staying in the same place.

Plugs are a little oily/sooty, but hey it is a 17 year old engine. It had been running fine, one day it just up and decided to not start again.

Grateful for any help.

Jason

Reply to
jventresco

You May need a new computer .

Computer is LOCATED under the DASH To the Right of the Glovebox!

Ps My 1989 Still has the original Computer

Also if you Check for Spark and just Hold one of the Wires to GROUND, You will Blow the Module inside the distributor. Always Check with a known Good spark plug connected to the ignition wire

Reply to
no one

Sounds exactly like my old Bronco II. Turns out it was the distributor shaft. After that was done she ran perfect again.

Reply to
Splat

That's what I was thinking.

What was strange was that it worked, for awhile.

I tried replacing the module on the distributor (as I had one that I bought back before I bought the entire distributor itself), but even then it didn't start.

I guess I go get (another) warranty distributor and go hunt for a computer.

Thanks

Reply to
jventresco

I replaced the whole distributor, twice.

Both times it ran and either died or wouldn't start again.

Reply to
jventresco