'89 s10 parking brake release cable broke

The barking brake release handle just came off in my hand with about 6 inches of frayed steel cable (classic; with my girl friend watching ! Funny stuff ) . Happily the truck will roll (so it died working) - but I dont see where the far end of the cable is.

Where did it run to ? Where did it attach to ? Where do I go to start working on a fix ?

Reply to
barret bonden

Not sure about this specific vehicle but I've had GM's in the past with a short (perhaps 9 inch long) release cable that runs to a lever up in the mechanism. The one I had was easy to replace. I suspect you'll find yours is also easy once you get a good look up there with a flashlight.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Reply to
Chris Fagan

He asked about the release cable that the pull handle is attached to, not the cable that goes to the brakes themselves.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You were right ; good job and thanks ! It runs to a lever up in the mechanism just under the left side of the dash; looks like an easy fix. I can even release it with my hand ( with a glove on)

Reply to
barret bonden

This is too funny. Last week my 1994 s-10's parking brake release cable broke in the same way...Somehow the cable became frayed and broke. Trying to find a replacement... Did you repair yours...How did you do it?

Reply to
Darsen