89 Suburban won't start

Hello, group: I have a 1989 Chevy Suburban, 350TBI. It's run like a top for the 5 years I've had it. Suddenly it won't start. It cranks, but won't turn over. Now I know it's either no spark or no fuel, right? Plenty of gas in the tank. My questions are how to properly check for spark? I don't want to screw something up, and I don't want 20,000 volts either. If I have spark, what's next? The fuel pump? Where is it, and how difficult is it to replace?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reply to
alarman

Your Burb is TBI so it's really easy to check for fuel delivery during cranking. Pop off the air cleaner, you'll see the two injectors sitting on top of the throttle body. Have someone crank the motor while you watch the injectors. You should have a nice spray from both injectors during cranking. No spray, problem with EFI system or fuel pump is shot. To check fuel pump, have someone turn the key to run (but not start) while you have yer' head pressed against the gas tank. You should hear a "bzzzzzz" for a few seconds after the key is turned. This is the pump kicking on and pressurizing the system for startup. The pump is located inside the gas tank and is a bit of a pain to replace.

For spark, pull the plug wire from the center of the distributor cap (runs from coil to cap). Stick a RUBBER HANDLED screwdriver into the boot, and have someone crank while you touch the shaft of the screwdriver to a metal surface. Should be lots of BLUE fireworks.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

"Doc" wrote

Thanks, Doc! I'll give it a try. Jack

Reply to
alarman

Gee doc, I always liked the metal handle screw drivers!

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

Baaaaawhammm! Nuthin' like 40k+ volts to let you know you're alive eh?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

"Doc" wrote

Hello, Doc: Tried the screwdriver method, got no spark and replaced the coil. Still no start. I never did see and fuel spraying in the throttle body, though I can hear the fuel pump buzzing with the ignition on. Any ideas? Jack

Reply to
alarman

OK, let's stop throwing parts at it, unless you happen to have them hanging around.

The system works by the distributor sending a signal to the computer, telling it that it's spinning nice and happy and time to fire the injectors. The computer figures out how much to fire. If you don't have either spark or fuel, the problem is either in the distributor module (Most likely), or the computer has a problem. If you pull out the module on the distributor, you can take it to Autozone and they will test it for you for free. Once you get the cap off, you pull off the rotor and it's only two screws from being out.

BTW, the Delco is 43.99, the Wells is 29.99. Get the Delco if that's what it needs. The Wells may have a warranty, but the quality sucks. You MUST use heat conducting grease when you put it in, or it's life will be very short. The replacement usually comes with a tube, but make sure before you leave the store.

Reply to
John Alt

John Alt wrote

Thank you, John. I'll pull the module and have it tested. I had an 85 F150 that had an electronic ignition(?) module that went out a couple of times. This the same thing? Jack

Reply to
alarman

Yep. The F150 has it mounted externally, either on the fender or the distributor housing. GM puts it inside.

Reply to
John Alt

Actually the more reliable Fords had the module on the fenderwell, but many of them did have it distributor mounted. IIRC, They had a recall on a lot of them due to heat related failures.

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

So many straight lines, so little time...

Reply to
John Alt

Reply to
boogieman

I think the shock hurts less then the welt on the top of your head from slamming it into underside of the hood.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I'm laughing my ass off cause' I've done that before! And you're right, the hook whack hurts far worse and lingers far longer than the coil blast.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Only difference that would make is the neutral-park safety switch (auto has one, standard doesn't), but if it's cranking it ain't the switch as the switch kills the starter altogether.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

boogieman wrote

Auto.

Reply to
fly in the ointment

"Doc" wrote

Gotta agree. Can't wait til the weekend when I have time to pull the dist. I'll report back, thanks again to all for your help. Jack

Reply to
alarman

:-P

CJ

Reply to
CJBrown

the worst shock I ever got was from a leaking spark plug wire on a 250 chevy in an old Trojan loader...... it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't fallen off of the damn thing. I've been leery of grabbing a plug wire ever since (and that was probably 15 years ago.)

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

He he he, shit like that leave an irrevocable scar on one's mind eh? I've been blasted lots of times but never fell off as a result! I used to be pretty carefree working under vehicles until one almost fell on me.

Buddy's truck was jacked up in the driveway, jackstands on either side of rear axle. I was underneath working on the rear end when a SINKHOLE, underneath the asphalt decided to give it up. Jackstand went straight into the ground and the truck came a tumblin'. I made it out a millisecond before she hit bottom. Now I'm paranoid. Plywood under the jackstands, floor jack+old tires as backups along the frame rails.

;-)

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"