91 Burb Starting Problem. Need help ASAP!!!!

Ok, it went down like this. Friday, December 22, 2006- I am heading somewhere and I sart to overheat. So I pull in to a gas station and check the water level. All seems ok. I had noticed a leak right above the harmonic balencer so I decided to check the oil.I was a quart low. So I buy a quart and put it in, she starts up just fine and oil pressure is back to normal. So I leave the station and continue on. Well, I start heading up a hill and I hear a funny grating noise right near the firewall, I assume this is going to be the points on my distributor cap finally wearing out, and then the engine skips for a second. I pull in to where I'm going and turn her off. Well, I decide to make sure she will start and turn her back over. After a couple of unsuccesful attempts she groans to life very unwillingly but runs smooth. I turn her back off and leave her for a couple of hours. When I get ready to start her up she doesnt want to start again. It takes a few minutes and some coaxing but she starts up again and is still running smooth. The whole way home she was fine, of course i kept her at 55 just to be safe.

Saturday, December 23, 2006- I go out to start her up and she never would. I'm gettin pretty worried as I need her for work on Tuesday and she's my only vehicle.

Now, I'm wondering if this is a simple case of that cap dying or should I look further. I don't even have a way to check to see if she's firing as I don't have anyone to turn her over while i check to see if anything is coming from the plug wires. Any ideas people? They would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
big.drizzt

"and oil pressure is back to normal."

Was it below normal before this?

Anyway, have you acyually pulled the cap and rotor and examined them?

Throw an inductive pickup light on a plug wire to check for spark. You can do this by yourself while cranking.

Reply to
Augustus

It sounds to me like the dist. Cap. Today my 92' Ram 150 would not start and i replaced the Cap and plug wires and its running better than ever. Try to see if your getting fire or not. If not replace the dist. Cap and rotor button. They are pretty Cheap.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Scott