91 chevy blazer starter problem

Hello, I have a 91 blazer, which recently the starter started to grind. I looked at it, and found it hanging under truck, by 1 loose bolt, I tightend the bolt that was left, and it worked ok, slight grind at times, I got replacement bolts, and none fit in, I checked starter, still tight with 1 bolt. but takes 3 times to start up usually, starter starts, then looses grip, and you can hear ity spin, let it slow down and stop, then try, try again, I dont drive it more than once or twice a week, otherwise my girlfriend drives it, and she has proven to me, time and time again, if its gonna happen to anyone, it will happen to her when it comes to vehicals. So I bought a new starter, and here it is sitiing in a box for 1/5 of what I paid for blazer, I just would like to know if anyone might have some helpfull advise on what I should do next. The starter seems to work well when gears mesh together, so I dont want to keep this new starter if I dont have to, I have never grounded a flywheel down far enough to slip gears in my life, but that might be a possibility. my friend has a 92 blazer, and told me its a hell of a job to change a starter on this blazer, like have to work around front suspension pieces. or jack up engine to fit in, and out... I think I could drop it down easy enough. but if the starter gear looks ok, what would that mean? flywheel forsure, or could the starter malfunction this way? I notice alot of oil under engine recently, " think oil plug was loose, and tightend it" I tryed taking off the inspection plate on tranny, and bent my wrench befor I could get the 3rd bolt off, someone must have used a 3/4" impact on it or something, cause I am not the weakest guy I know. But anyways, oil seemed to leak out of the bolt holes for that plate...? would oil around a starter make it loose contact in cylinoid? , I got 2 new factory bolts with new starter, old bolt isnt broke off in block, any help or advice would be helpfull, Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this, Peace, Jim

reply to snipped-for-privacy@removecharter.net

Reply to
Door County Guy

IIRC they changed from a solid front axle in '91 to IFS in '92 with the body switch.

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin