92 chevy full size heater core hose replacement

This is the hose that goes from the intake manifold to the heater core and has that special fitting. Is there any special knowledge or tools that I need to replace this hose my self? It appears to have some kind of "quick release" apparatus on it. Any help is appreciated. TIA dino

Reply to
dino

Ya

Get rid of that Quick connector ..

And replace IT & The pipe with a Hose !

Reply to
no one

Surprised it lasted this long! Yank that quick-connect, go to your local parts store and match up a standard nipple. At Advance-Auto, they're in the coolant section. Grab a piece of 5/8" heater hose (if the metric size isn't available) two clamps and you're done.

Watch the one on the waterpump. Mine went at less than 50K miles and was so corroded I couldn't get it out. Had to replace the pump. My fault for not looking under the hood more often....

Hope this helps.. Rick

Reply to
Rick

It's lasted 150,000 w/o a problem, I'm afraid to disturb the fitting in the block, could open up a whole can of worms if that fitting breaks off leaving the threads in the mani. That happened to my stepfather's truck and I'm trying to avoid that action. Is it impossible to repair by using the factory parts?

Reply to
dino

I know what you mean about busting it off - that's why I had to put a new waterpump on...

I asked my brother (master tech) about this last nite when I was at the dealer. They can be fixed - they just replace everything.

We've done them as side jobs - just spray the heck outta it with PB Blaster, leave overnite, and attempt to remove it. Just don't wrench on it too hard - coax it off... Once it breaks loose, spray a little more PB on it, work the fitting back and forth, and it'll come out. A few kind words of encouragement will help it come out too. Never, ever, ever swear at a connector or call it bad names when it won't come lose

- it'll break everytime, just outta spite! :-}

Rick

d> It's lasted 150,000 w/o a problem, I'm afraid to disturb the fitting in the

Reply to
chevydriver37

Reply to
Michael Herron